TSR 1/11/20 CBB Picks w/ Guest Picker Matt Seybert



On Saturdays and Sundays for the remainder of the college basketball season, the TSR team is going to add guest pickers to our usual daily selections. They will be on the Guest Pick Standings page on the menu of our website. We are going to start the season with a bang, as we are happy to announce that our first guest picker is former Michigan State tight end Matt Seybert.

Q&A w/ Matt Seybert


1. Matt, we know you were a phenomenal tight end at Michigan State. How is your basketball ability?

My basketball ability, I would say is a high school 6th man of the year type. I don’t have a smooth shot but it goes in when I get hot. I played very physical, as I don't have much finesse to my game. I got kicked out of three games in my high school career for on court scuffles, and I loved getting chippy in the paint.


2. Who was the best basketball player on the Michigan State football roster? 

Well even though he was in the NFL this year, Khari Willis was a hell of a point guard. I watched him play some point guard and it looked like he could have played at any school in the nation. It was unreal to watch. 


3. What was the best gift that you received from the bowl game, either this year or any bowl game in the past? 

Most definitely the giant lazy boy recliner chair from the Holiday Bowl. Every day I’m thankful I received that gift, it’s extremely comfortable. 


4. What was your favorite memory from your time as a football player at MSU?

My favorite memory...hmm I would say it’s after I scored my first TD at Northwestern and pointed towards my family. It was a very emotional moment that we’ve waited years and years for. Felt great. And then with that comes the joy I shared with my teammates, there’s no greater feeling. 


5. What are your plans now that you career has concluded at MSU?

I plan to go train in Cincinnati for pro day. I just signed with an agency called EMG Sports, and they are going to help me chase my NFL dreams. 


6. How good do you think this year's MSU hoops team is? What are they capable of accomplishing?

They’re extremely talented and electric when they get hot. They have the best point guard in the country surrounded by raw talent that I think I can most definitely win a National Championship when in the groove. 


7. Do you have a favorite college basketball player now/in the past? What about a favorite college basketball memory? Any sort of college basketball favorites that you want to share?

My favorite college basketball player is a tie between two players, both from Wichita State (where my brother went to college). 1st is Ron Baker, who was a phenomenon in Wichita for 4 years and was a good friend to my older brother. Next is Fred VanVleet. Watching him play at Wichita State was so fun and to see what he’s doing now for the Toronto Raptors is surreal. My favorite college basketball memory was watching Wichita State make it to the Final Four in 2013 while my brother was there. Being able to experience that with my brother was so fun, especially because he had friends on the team and no one expected Wichita State to make it. I always have loved a good underdog story. 

Saturday Games

Game 1-Indiana vs Ohio State (12:00, FOX)

Matt: Ohio State-- Even though the game is in Bloomington, I’ve got OSU taking this one because they’re desperate for a win more than Indiana is. Look for OSU to play gritty in this one with lockdown defense winning them the game. I’ve got OSU stealing this one in Bloomington. 

Nick: Ohio State--It has been a shock to me that Ohio State is 1-3 in the Big Ten, though they have lost to some great teams in league play. I think that Joey Brunk and the Hoosiers’ interior will struggle against the Wessons down low.

Sam: Ohio State--The Buckeyes are reeling but I think they’ll bounce back in Bloomington. DJ Carton has really struggled lately for OSU, and if they want to seriously contend in the B1G, he will have to step up.

Zach:Ohio State--As much as I don’t trust a road team in the Big Ten, Ohio State is bound to put up a huge game. On their three game losing streak, they have been held under 60 points in each game. 

Game 2-Illinois vs Rutgers (12:00, BTN)

Matt: Rutgers

Nick: Rutgers--The Scarlet Knights are hot, surprisingly they find themselves alone in second place in the Big Ten standings. This start continues with a win in Champaign.

Sam: Illinois--The Illini stole one on the road in Madison on Wednesday night, and I think they’ll build off that momentum with a win over a now very formidable Rutgers team

Zach: Illinois--At the RAC, Rutgers wins, but Illinois wins at home. Illinois’ guard play over matches the Scarlet Knights’ without Geo Baker.

Game 3-Kansas vs Baylor (1:00, CBS)

Matt: Kansas--Picking Kansas here simply because Baylor is 0-3 all time while playing as a top 5 team vs a top 5 team and Kansas has been in these big games too many times to remember. 

Nick: Kansas--The Jayhawks are ranked #1 in the NET, and they have played fantastic basketball all season, with just two close losses. Devon Dotson is an elite guard for Kansas.

Sam: Baylor--Jared Butler and company have one of the best backcourts in America. I think Gillespie will do a good job on big Doke, and the shooting prowess of Baylor’s backcourt wills them to a massive win.

Zach: Kansas--In maybe the biggest game since the Champions Classic doubleheader, number 4 Baylor comes into Allen Fieldhouse to battle number 3 Kansas. I see Kansas winning pretty handily as Udoka Azubuike has a day. At 6’9 I don’t think that Freddie Gillespie will be able to handle him down low. Rankings aside, I think Kansas is the best team in college basketball 

Game 4-Penn State vs Wisconsin (2:15, BTN)

Matt: Penn State--I’ve got Penn State winning because they need to rebound from their previous loss and they get to do it at home. 

Nick: Penn State--I think that Matt hits this on the head. Penn State needs to win this game, and I like their odds at home.

Sam: Penn State--If the Nittany Lions want to make the tournament for the first time since 2011, these are the kinds of games you NEED to win.

Zach: Penn State--Reuvers and Watkins will battle down low, opening up all sorts of scoring for Penn State’s other players such as Myreon Jones, Izaiah Brockington, Myles Dread, and I don’t think anyone on Wisconsin can guard Lamar Stevens.

Game 5-Northwestern vs Nebraska (4:30, BTN)

Matt: Nebraska

Nick: Nebraska--The Wildcats continue to lose, whether it has been players or games. This is one of the more winnable games for Northwestern, but I think that Nebraska believe it or not is too talented. Thorir Thorbjarnarson has improved from 2.0 PPG to 7.5 PPG and more impressively has improved his three point percentage from 17 to 47%.

Sam: Nebraska--The Wildcats are majorly depleted and Nebraska has shown it can win games (albeit at home) in this conference and Northwestern hasn’t.

Zach: Northwestern--If Northwestern doesn’t win today, I don’t see them winning a Big Ten game, until Feb 27 against Illinois or when these teams square off again on Mar 1, and even then I don’t feel confident in the Wildcats. I really hope for Chris Collins’ sake that they win this game. I would hate to see another great Big Ten coach let go *cough cough* Tim Miles.

Game 6-VCU vs Rhode Island (2:00, CBSSN)

Matt: VCU

Nick: The Rams will win this game. Of course, that’s the mascot of both teams, but Rhode Island will be the winner in this one. Rhode Island has shown flashes of excellence this season, here's a chance to prove their worth against the preseason favorite.

Sam: VCU

Zach: VCU--They gotta get ranked soon, right? Maybe they need to beat Dayton next week first, I don’t know.

Game 7-Auburn vs Georgia (6:00, ESPN)

Matt: Auburn

Nick: Auburn

Sam: Auburn--Bruce Pearl’s bunch is deep and very very athletic. Tigers have the chops to go deep in March, again.

Zach: Auburn--Even if Anthony Edwards and the Dawgs play like they did in the first half against Kentucky, but this time the whole game, Auburn still wins.

Game 8-West Virginia vs Texas Tech (6:00, ESPN2)

Matt: Texas Tech--I think Texas Tech wins this one by a very slim margin. The only reason I predict Texas Tech wins this one is because of West Virginia’s horrid performance from the free throw line this season. I believe it will cost them in this close matchup. 

Nick: Texas Tech--Much like we brought up with Penn State, the Red Raiders are looking to bounce back with a victory. They can go on the road to Morgantown and leave with a statement victory. Chris Beard’s bunch is poised for another deep run in the tournament.

Sam: West Virginia-- I love the frontcourt of Culver and Tshiebwe. The Mountaineers get it done at home.

Zach: West Virginia--After almost winning in Allen Fieldhouse, they bounced back with a win over Oklahoma State, only allowing 41 points. Their defense plays great again, slowing down the Red Raiders offense, cueing Country Roads

Game 9-Oregon vs Arizona State (10:30, PAC12)

Matt: Oregon

Nick: Oregon--Payton Pritchard is the type of player that can will his team to the Final Four, or even a National Championship. We saw this last year when he led them on the Pac 12 title run, and we have seen him step up in big game after big game this year.

Sam: Oregon--What a win Thursday night for the Ducks over Arizona. They’ll build on that one with a thumping of the fighting Bobby Hurley’s.

Zach: Oregon--Statistically these team look about the same, but you will see when they play, it’s not like that at all. Payton Pritchard vs Remy Martin will be very fun to watch, and in the end, Oregon has the much better team

Game 10-William and Mary vs College of Charleston (2:00)

Matt: College of Charleston--I’ve got Charleston winning this one because they’ve won 6 straight games and this team is hot. 

Nick: William & Mary--This is a phenomenal game of two undefeated teams in CAA play. This kind of battle is between two teams that will have a chance to bust a bracket in March. The Tribe have five players that shoot above 35% from three, a lethal offensive attack.

Sam: College of Charleston

Zach: William and Mary--Yes, I love picking a game that probably no one will watch due to all of the other great games today. But since we are, Nathan Knight is averaging 19.9ppg/10.3rpg for the Tribe, and he carries them to a victory.

A big thanks to Matt for joining us today, we were excited that he wanted to be a part of the fun. We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. Go Green!

Comments