TSR 1/26/20 CBB Picks w/ Guest Picker Kail Venema



On Saturdays and Sundays for the remainder of the college basketball season, the TSR team is going to add guest pickers to our usual daily selections. They will be on the Guest Pick Standings page on the menu of our website. Our next guest picker is a former player at both Caledonia High School and later at Aquinas College, Kail Venema.

Q&A w/ Kail Venema

1. Let's start with a question I'm sure that many may know the answer to already. What was the most memorable game that you played in at Caledonia?

The most memorable game that I played in was probably South Christian at home my senior year. We played so well as a team and Steve Spencer dunked on a kid from South. It was the icing on the cake to a really good team win! (Here is the video of the epic dunk, thanks to YouTube)

2. After Caledonia, you played at Aquinas College. Is there a game from those days that stands out as your favorite?

The most memorable basketball moment for me was beating Cornerstone on a half court buzzer beater. We had just beat number 4 ranked Davenport and Cornerstone was ranked 2nd in the nation. We were down by 1 with 3.1 seconds to go. It was the number one play on SportsCenter's Top 10. (Here is the video, with Kail rocking a killer arm sleeve on the assist.)

3. Who was the best player that you faced during your career?

We got to play at Detroit Mercy when Ray McCallum Jr. was there. The best player I faced in my conference was either Dominez Burnett from Davenport or Kyle Steigenga from Cornerstone. Dominez broke the all-time scoring record in Michigan my senior year and then the following year Kyle broke the same record. Kyle was probably the best in my mind because I had to guard him the whole game. He was one of the best all-around players I have ever seen.

4. Was there a particular road environment that you thought was the best?

Davenport or Cornerstone. They were our two biggest rivals and the gym was always packed. You couldn’t beat the atmosphere during one of those games.

5. Have you remained involved in basketball after your playing days?

Yes, I coached the middle school team at Caledonia for two years. I now help run the middle school intramural program, as well as coach a team for the West Michigan Crush AAU program.

6. Do you have a favorite college basketball memory? How about a favorite player?

I have always been a huge MSU fan, the first game I went to was one that I will never forget. I was in 5th grade maybe and Shannon Brown was my favorite player. The game I went to was MSU vs Penn State. Magic Johnson was sitting a few rows behind me and I got to meet him at half time!

My favorite player to watch right now is Cassius Winston. What he has been able to accomplish on and off of the court is just amazing. He is very fun to watch.

7. Finally, what have you been up to career wise since you hung up the sneakers (save for the legendary Caledonia alumni scrimmage of course)?

I am now a loan officer at Northpointe Bank. I graduated from Aquinas with a business degree. I was unsure what I wanted to do after graduation, but I knew that I wanted to be in sales. I started as an insurance agent at Farmers Insurance. My uncle has always been in the mortgage industry and I look up to him a lot. When he asked me to come join his team it was a no brainer for me.

Sunday's Games


1. UCONN vs Tulsa

Kail: UCONN
Nick: Tulsa--The Golden Hurricane made a statement against Memphis earlier this week. Frank Haith’s bunch is tied with Houston for first in the conference after the first six games, exactly like everyone predicted in the preseason...This hot start continues against UCONN, who is putting a weak showing together for their AAC curtain call.

Sam: UCONN-- Danny Hurley’s the best.

Zach: UCONN- UCONN has been a roller coaster this season but a red hot Tulsa team is bound to cool down 

2. Wake Forest vs Virginia

Kail: Virginia

Nick: Virginia--UVA sure can’t score, but they really can defend. This will be one of those games that defense will be more than enough for them to get a victory.

Sam: Virginia-- This game sucks

Zach: Virginia- WF keeps this real close

3. Indiana vs Maryland

Kail: Indiana--Playing at home coming off a huge win against MSU, I think that Indiana will keep the momentum going. Assembly Hall is a tough gym to play in!

Nick: Maryland--Naturally, every team that beats Michigan State seems to have a let down the next game. Couple that with what I feel is a better team talent wise, Maryland wins.

Sam: Indiana-- Hoosiers stay hot. 

Zach: Indiana- Indiana just beat a ranked Michigan State at home and they come back with another ranked Maryland team. Assembly Hall will be rocking once again.

4. Minnesota vs Michigan State

Kail: Michigan State--Playing on the road in the Big Ten is a tough thing to do this season. However, I don’t see Michigan State dropping two in a row.

Nick: Michigan State--I’m not sure I have ever felt a game was this much of a “must-win” for a team in first place in the conference on January 26, but when you look at the road games ahead of Michigan State this season, there aren’t many better opportunities. Spartans complete the season sweep the same way they won game number one, limiting the supporting cast while Oturu gets to 20+. Cassius Winston’s B1G POTY campaign starts back up, full steam ahead.

Sam: Michigan State-- MSU certainly cannot afford to lose this one. I’ve been so impressed with Oturu this season, and as Nick alluded to, he will get his today. Cassius has seemed a bit off as of late, and I think that changes and he has a typical Cassius Winston game

Zach: Michigan State- Coming off on a near comeback loss to Indiana, the Spartans find themselves in close to a must win if they want to win the Big Ten as everyone seems to be winning that’s on their tail. MSU beat Minnesota by 16 at home, but The Barn is a different animal...Michigan State pulls ahead late.

5. Northwestern vs Ohio State

Kail: Ohio State--The Buckeyes are one of the potentially 8 (or more) tournament teams in the Big Ten. They have been in a slump, and I think things get turned around against Northwestern.

Nick: Ohio State--There are tough Big Ten environments...and then there is Northwestern. Ohio State rebounds with a huge win. If they do lose this game, they really will be in danger of missing the NCAA Tournament.

Sam: Ohio State-- The Buckeyes keep playing themselves closer and closer to being out of the tournament.

Zach: Ohio State- As bad as Ohio State has fallen, Northwestern is so bad and that’s hardly a home court advantage

6. Oregon vs UCLA

Kail: Oregon--I had a teammate from Aquinas that walked on at Oregon. I love their uniforms and they have one of the best players in the country right now. That will be a tough game on the road for UCLA.

Nick: Oregon--Payton Pritchard is an All-American. UCLA has no answer. Can we take a minute and discuss how weird it is that Oregon and Oregon State women have a home and home conference series this weekend?

Sam: Oregon-- Poor Mick Cronin

Zach: Oregon- Tough matchup for UCLA, and it shows. This game won’t be close one bit 

7. UNLV vs San Diego State

Kail: San Diego State

Nick: San Diego State--The Rebels are the only team within 2 games of SDSU in the conference standings, just 8 or 9 games in. This is the start of a three game slate that could determine the legitimacy of this team’s undefeated hopes, as three of their four toughest games are in a row.

Sam: SDSU

Zach: SDSU- San Diego State is the lone undefeated in the country and I see no issues improving to 21-0

8. Cal vs Stanford

Kail: Stanford--I always like playing as Stanford in NCAA Football, in the mascot version of the game. Who wouldn’t want to play as a tree?

Nick: Stanford--Unless the band is out on the field, this won’t be a game. Cardinal win big.

Sam: Stanford

Zach: Stanford- There wasn’t much better than playing as the tree, but the tree in real life may be the ugliest mascot out there. Fortunately for them, the Bears are not good

9. Creighton vs Xavier

Kail: Xavier

Nick: Creighton--This Bluejays team is strong and at home. At 15-5, they have been relatively under the radar for most of this year. This will be an NCAA Tournament team this year.

Sam: Creighton-- As Nick said, the Blue Jays are flying way under the radar this year. Greg McDermott is such a great coach and Xavier has been struggling.

Zach: Creighton

10. Houston vs South Florida

Kail: Houston

Nick: Houston--The Cougars aren’t as good as last season’s 33-4 team, but they could get back to the Sweet Sixteen once again behind players like Dejon Jarreau and Quentin Grimes.

Sam: Houston

Zach: Houston- I don’t even have to say what I live about this Houston team anymore. If you read, you know.

Comments