TSR 2/22/20 CBB Picks w/ Guest Picker Chris Castellani



On Saturdays and Sundays for the remainder of the college basketball season, the TSR team is going to add guest pickers to our usual daily selections. They will be on the Guest Pick Standings page on the menu of our website. Our next guest picker is a podcaster for Locked On Tigers and maizenbrew.com, but most of you probably know him for his epic Tigers Twitter recaps, Chris Castellani.

Q&A w/ Chris Castellani

1. Why did you decide to start the Tigers recap videos?
I just really wanted someone to talk about Detroit Tigers baseball with. That “someone” happened to be the few hundred Twitter followers I had at the time. I never pictured it growing the way it has.

2. Is there a video that you find to be your favorite/most memorable?
I really liked the one I made last season after they clinched the number one pick in the draft. It involved me standing in a shower doing a phony celebration, wearing goggles and pouring beer on myself. It was lighthearted, humorous, and it showed that even in a season made up almost entirely of downers, it was still possible to have SOME fun. (Link to this video here)

3. Was there a moment that you realized that you had gone viral in the Tigers Twitter world? 
Game 85 vs the Indians in 2017 was a huge one. I guess you could even call it “life changing” to a certain extent. It was the moment where things went from bad to worse for the organization. It was obvious they were about to enter an arduous rebuild, and I think that video tapped into the frustration that a lot of fans were feeling at the time. It’s definitely not the video I’m proudest of, a lot of the earlier videos are a bit tough for me to watch nowadays, but I’m not ashamed of it and I’m happy it connected with so many people. It allowed me to really build my audience.

4. You recently announced that you are hosting "Locked On Tigers" podcast. How do you see this going in comparison to your videos? Will the daily videos continue?
My hope is that during the regular season the podcast will be an extension of my videos. The videos have to be so quick. It’s two minutes, twenty seconds. You have to be precise, you have to be fast. The podcast will allow me to take a step back, be a little bit more in depth, a little bit more analytical. I’ll cover the same stuff on the pod that I will in the videos, it will just be in much greater detail.

5. How do you see this year’s Tigers team doing? Any bold predictions?
Well it’s gonna be rough. I’m not even gonna pretend to act like there’s any sort of hope for this season. Keeping it under 100 losses would be an accomplishment. There is one thing that I am legitimately excited about and that’s that at some point this season, we’re gonna see some assortment of the following pitchers- Casey Mize, Matt Manning, Tarik Skubal, Alex Faedo. I don’t know if we’re gonna see one or all of those guys, but we’re gonna see some of them and I’m really excited about that. The entire future of this organization is being built around starting pitching, and that core is something to be amped about.

6. Who do you think are the top 5 prospects for the Tigers, and perhaps a guy outside of that you’re most excited for?
Personally, the guys I’m most excited to see are Casey Size, Matt Manning, Riley Greene, Isaac Paredes, and Tarik Skubal. A lot of people seem to have turned their back on Alex Faedo after a pretty brutal start to him minor league career, but he’s cleaned up his mechanics and pitched some pretty good baseball in double A last year. I still think he’ll be a very capable starting pitcher in the Major Leagues.

7. What are your thoughts on this Michigan basketball team? What is your expectation for this team the remainder of the season?
It’s been a weird season. I’ve never seen a year where expectations have changed so much. They went from fringe tournament team, to Top 5 in the country, to unranked, to being out of the tournament. Now it’s safe to say they’re comfortably in. I thought their win against Rutgers was tremendous. No Isaiah Livers, down nine in the second half and they found a way to win. Defensively, they’ve improved immensely. I think their ceiling is second weekend of the tournament, but considering the adversity they’ve faced, I think just making it would be a pretty solid accomplishment.

8. What are your thoughts on Michigan State? How do you think their season concludes?
I’ve been really patient with this team, but it’s undeniable how underwhelming they’ve been this season. You can never count Izzo out. In 2015, he took a glorified NIT team to the Final Four so anything is possible, but right now they just aren’t that great. They’re good enough. Cassius continues to shine and Tillman has been very good recently, but they don’t have the consistent enough shooters compared to last season. It’s a team with a high ceiling and a low floor as far as the tournament goes.

9. What are your thoughts on the John Belien situation? Do you think he will land in college again? If so, care to make a prediction?
To call it a disaster would be an understatement. I don’t think he’s completely blameless. He probably jumped the gun a little bit. Like I said on Twitter, there’s a reality somewhere where John Beilein would’ve turned out to be a wonderful NBA coach, but Cleveland was never going to be part of that reality. It saddens me that it turned out to be such a mess.

Right now, I don’t think he has any intention of coaching again. He stated when he got the Cavs job, that he planned on it being his last. But someone is going to make a run at him. He’s one of the top basketball minds in the country and some program (probably more than one) is going to offer him a lot of money to lead them. It would have to be the right fit, but it wouldn’t shock me at all to see him back in the college ranks soon.

10. Do you have a favorite college basketball player?
Trey Burke was my hero in high school. In some ways, he’s still my hero. He’ll probably always be my favorite.

11. Do you have a favorite college basketball memory?
This will probably come as no surprised based on my previous answer but 2013 Michigan basketball will always hold a special place in my heart. When I was growing up, we would go down to Florida every year for Spring Break and in 2013 the first night we got to our condo was the night that Michigan played Kansas in the sweet sixteen. Things were looking pretty bleak with about ten minutes left and they then mounted this unbelievable comeback. Two days later they demolished Florida in what was probably my favorite performance ever by a Michigan team in any sport. They just had zero doubt that they were ever gonna lose and they ran Florida off the floor. Our final night in Florida was the night they played Syracuse in the Final Four. They won an ugly game to advance to the National Championship and left for home the next the day. The 2018 team was so special as well, and I could write an entire book about that team and how fun it was, but that 2013 NCAA tournament run, especially that week when we were in Florida when they went 3-0, I still get chills when I think about that. I love that team so much and while they ended up losing to Louisville, they’re still my favorite sports team of all time. 

13. Did you play basketball (or any other sport) in high school or growing up?
I played a little bit of basketball growing up. I wasn’t anything special. I wasn’t gonna play in high school or anything, but I could hit a shot every once in while. I was a suitable 8th grade basketball player. My main sport growing up was tennis. I was a 4-year varsity doubles player. Three-time league champion, three-time regional champion, first team All-State and state semifinalist my senior year. That was the highlight of my athletic life.

14. Anything else you would like our readers to know about you, your career, your relationship with basketball, or otherwise?
Well I will take this time to bring up a few things that I don’t always get the chance to cover in interviews like. One thing I’m incredibly proud of has been my ability to grow an audience that is not specifically made up of one side of people. My feed is full of Spartans and Wolverines. You have Tigers fans, Indians fans, Astros fans. You have people of different genders and political ideologies, and more often than not, those people are able to engage in relatively civil conversation about topics they might disagree on. We live in a very divisive time, and the very nature of the things I talk about (sports and film) lead to more divisiveness. But I’m proud of the fact that we’ve been able to keep things civil. I don’t think we’ll get anywhere as a culture if we can’t engage in conversation with people who we share disagreements with. I’m very happy that my page has allowed people to feel comfortable enough to share their opinions with people that they might not agree with.

I’ve also been pretty outspoken in regards to some of my mental health problems. I think in general, the way mental health is covered in the media is still remarkably out of touch. Essentially what I’m trying to do is make my social media (and my life in general) and fun and safe place to be. Doesn’t mean there won’t be arguments, doesn’t mean it’s gonna be G rated, but I want it to be enjoyable. I wouldn’t be on social media if I didn’t have fun while I was on it.

Saturday's Picks


1. Baylor vs Kansas (12:00, ESPN)

Chris: Baylor- Baylor is the best team in the country in my opinion. I have them winning a close one against Kansas.

Nick: Baylor- It was hard to pick the Bears to complete a season sweep of the #3 team in the country, but this team is really good. Scott Drew finally has the horses to reach the Final Four this season. This is the biggest game in Baylor basketball regular season history, and it’s at home. I can only imagine how rowdy this environment will be.

Sam: Baylor-- The Bears have some legitimately great guard play. If Macio Teague is unable to play due to the wrist injury he’s been dealing with, that’d be a bad break for the Bears. Regardless, I love Jared Butler and he will make winning plays down the stretch.

Zach: Baylor- Teague has missed the past few games due to injury, but this seems like a game he cannot sit out. I like the Bears at home in a close one.

2. Auburn vs Tennessee (12:00, CBS)

Chris: Auburn- I’ve been really impressed with how Auburn has played this year. Last year’s run to the Final Four was no fluke. Tennessee has taken a massive step back. I got Auburn winning comfortably.

Nick: Auburn- Tennessee is such a disappointment this year, as Rick Barnes’ bunch hasn’t lived up to any of the expectations, per the usual for Tennessee (especially when it comes to football). Auburn, on the other hand, can make another deep tournament run, as Samir Doughty has played great basketball all season long.

Sam: Auburn-- Auburn by a ton. They’ve struggled recently, but they are still lightyears above Tennessee.

Zach: Auburn- The Vols are struggling compared to their preseason expectation, but they have the potential to keep it interesting, but in the end, Auburn is just way too good.

3. Providence vs Marquette (12:00, FOX)

Chris: Marquette- Ed Cooley’s team hasn’t seemed to have been able to find their footing all year. Marquette isn’t anything special, but I think they’ll pull away late.

Nick: Providence- The Golden Eagles are 3-5 in away games this season, and they already lost to Providence at home in a stunner. Tuesday’s game against Creighton showed that Markus Howard can be limited by elite coaching defenses, and the supporting cast is inconsistent. 

Sam: Providence-- All of a sudden, the Friars are in the tournament discussion. This is a game they can’t lose if they want to make it.

Zach:  Marquette- Markus Howard struggled against Creighton, and this is a perfect opportunity for a bounce back game.

4. Dayton vs Duquesne (2:00)

Chris: Dayton by 20. Duquesne will have no answer for Obi Toppin.

Nick: Dayton- The Flyers are a great basketball team, and although Duquesne showed flashes at times this season, they cannot hang with Dayton. On March 4, Dayton travels to Rhode Island, and that is the real challenge that stands between them and an undefeated conference season.

Sam: Dayton-- Love this team

Zach: Dayton- Duquesne is going to get bodied

5. Memphis vs Houston (2:00, ESPN2)

Chris: Houston- The Tigers have been sliding lately. The home court advantage will keep them in the game early, but I think Houston pulls away.

Nick: Houston- Dejon Jarreau is an elite basketball player who is flying under the radar this season. The redshirt junior and last year’s AAC 6th Man of the Year will announce his presence throughout the next month as he hopes to return Kelvin Sampson’s team past the first round of the NCAA Tournament for the third straight season.

Sam:  Houston-- Penny Hardaway has gotten “all the smoke” from the AAC this season.

Zach: Houston- I don’t think I have picked against this backcourt all season, and that is not going to change here

6.  Purdue vs Michigan (2:00, ESPN)

Chris: Michigan- This has been a frustrating year for Purdue, but they’ve played well at home. This will come down to the last couple possessions, but I like Michigan to pull one out here, even if Livers doesn’t play.

Nick: Purdue- The biggest question has to be whether or Isaiah Livers will suit up. Purdue is craving for a victory, as they are on the bubble with a resume that needs a boost. The Boilermakers snap a three game skid with a huge game offensively, requiring hot shooting from guys like Jahaad Proctor and Sasha Stefanovic.

Sam: Michigan-- Purdue has destroyed Iowa, Wisconsin and MSU at home. They’ve also lost to Penn State and Illinois by 15+ at home. They are just so inconsistent. Michigan is playing some of its best basketball of the season.

Zach: Purdue- If Livers suits up, this is a totally different story. Michigan had to win in OT at home earlier in the season, and Mackey will be a totally different story. The Boilermakers are struggling a bit right now, and this is a huge game coming down the stretch.

7. Xavier vs Villanova (2:30, FOX)

Chris: Xavier- This will be back and forth. Villanova has been struggling a lot over the last few games and Xavier has been hot. I got the Musketeers winning a close one.

Nick: Villanova- The Wildcats find themselves in a familiar position, as they are in the thick of the Big East regular season title hunt. Xavier’s defense has not lived up to its reputation this season, and that’s what ultimately costs them this victory.

Sam: Villanova-- Xavier will forever be chasing the Wildcats

Zach: Villanova- Villanova needs this game more than Xavier and that is why they will win a big one on the road.

8. Kentucky vs Florida (6:00, ESPN)

Chris: Kentucky has won 9 out of 10. They’re peaking at the right time. I have the Wildcats winning big. 

Nick: Kentucky- Chris is spot on with this one. Kentucky is playing phenomenal right now, and they will keep this rolling against a Florida team that has underperformed all season long. The Cats are looking poised for a big postseason run as the end of February draws near.

Sam: Kentucky-- Florida has been disappointing this season. They’ve won 5 of 6, but that has more to do with the cruminess of the SEC than the Gators themselves

Zach: Kentucky- Maybe Florida will win when the Wildcats come to Gainesville, but it will not happen at Rupp

9. Arizona vs Oregon (9:00, ESPN)

Chris: Oregon- I can’t remember the last time Arizona basketball won a big game. Gimme the Ducks.

Nick: Oregon- The Ducks suffered a mild setback against Arizona State on Thursday night, but they remain within striking distance of Colorado, in what appears to be an intense Pac 12 title race between five teams. Payton Pritchard is on my All-American team, and that is why I will pick them to win this game and the conference.

Sam: Oregon-- I love Payton Pritchard, I hate Sean Miller

Zach: Arizona- The desert gauntlet strikes again. After a heartbreaking loss to Arizona State, it has some carryover in Tucson. Arizona is playing some really good basketball right now, and have cracked the Top 25 once again. 

10. Duke vs Virginia Tech (8:00, ESPN2)

Chris: Duke- Virginia Tech has been floundering lately and Duke’s coming off of a bad loss. I think they’ll run the Hokies off the floor.

Nick: Duke- I’m with Chris once again, with a spot-on thought process. Coach K will have this team fired up and ready to go. I see this being a big time blowout, far worse than the 77-63 victory they took home back in December.

Sam: Duke-- I will never forget how hot this VT team was against the Spartans.

Zach: Duke- Coach K will run these guys out of the gym after the bad loss to NC State Thanks again to Chris for joining us. Make sure to follow him on Twitter @Castellani2014 and @LockedOnTigers for all of his great sports coverage.

Comments