TSR 2/29/20 CBB Picks w/ Guest Picker Lexi Bush


On Saturdays and Sundays for the remainder of the college basketball season, the TSR team is going to add guest pickers to our usual daily selections. They will be on the Guest Pick Standings page on the menu of our website. Our next guest picker is a current basketball player at Bournemouth University in England, after playing previously at Ferris State and Caledonia High School, Lexi Bush.

Q&A w/ Lexi Bush


1. What drew you to Bournemouth this season for basketball? Also, what league are you playing in?
I am playing in the premier league of BUCS (British NCAA).  Basically, because I am getting my Masters degree, I am allowed a fifth year here in college basketball.  My team is in the top league in the UK (equivalent to our NCAA Division 1)!  Bournemouth interested me immediately when they started recruiting me for so many reasons.  The school is very respectable academically, and I wanted to ensure that I was getting my degree from a University that was widely known and had a lot of opportunities for me.  Another reason I fell in love with Bournemouth is the location.  We are on the South Coast of England (the warmest and driest part of England haha).  The town is always busy and full of cafes and restaurants and shops, and not to mention, right on the beach!  I knew that I wanted to continue my education and get my Masters degree, but I was not quite ready to give up basketball yet, so this gave me the perfect opportunity to do both!

2. How has the experience been as a student/student-athlete abroad, compared to in the US?
Being a student-athlete abroad is similar here to back home in the US.  You have to manage your time efficiently and put in extra work on and off the court to succeed.  However, for my Masters program here we only have class 2-3 days a week, so it does seem a bit easier because I have a little more free time!  

3. Is the basketball comparable to what you are used to in the United States, competition wise? 
As for basketball itself, the sport is very up and coming here in England.  It has never been one of their "main sports" here, but since they have started heavily recruiting from the US, it has gotten bigger and bigger.  When you say you're here playing a sport, people automatically assume it is soccer or rugby!  But I think in the next few years, basketball will blow up here!  An interesting rule here is that you can play in the premier league of the BUCS as well as the WBBL (Women's British Basketball League, the professional league here) so the competition in our league is really good!  

4. Let's go back to your time at Caledonia. Is there a game that stands out to you as the most memorable during your 4 years playing basketball there?
Back to the glory day of Caledonia!  The game that instantly comes to my mind as the most memorable is when we beat Grand Rapids Christian my senior year at home.  They had always been a powerhouse in our area, and state ranked as usual, and I had never beaten them up until that day.  We played out of our minds and upset them on our home court, it was such a fun night!  I remember the newspaper the next day read "Bush finally gets a win against GRC", it was cool, but I was also like wow they had to call me out like that!  I'll never forget that game!

5. How about at Ferris, was there a game that you look back as your favorite?
As for at Ferris, another game easily comes to mind!  My junior year we were a 7 seed in the GLIAC tournament, and we had to play Michigan tech, who was the 2 seed, on their home court.  If you know anything about GLIAC basketball, you know that Michigan Tech is probably the hardest gym to play at in the conference.  Not only do you have to make a ten hour trek up there through the snow in March, they ALWAYS have a huge crowd that goes crazy the entire game, and their marching band is insane and they hassle the opposing team from start to finish.  It is a very fun atmosphere to play in, however walking out of there with a victory as the away team is few and far between.  So, we went up there and we were on a mission!  We played our best game of the season and upset them, it was the best feeling ever.  It also made the ten-hour drive home a little more bearable!

6. Is there a particular teammate that you feel had a lasting impact on you as a player/person?
Every teammate that I've played with has been special to me in some way or another, however two of my college teammates made a really big impact on me.  The first is Rachel McInerney.  She was a center on our team, a year above me.  I know it is a bit cliché to say someone was a hard worker in college sports, but it is the most fitting description of Rachel.  She is the hardest worker I have ever seen.  She was in the gym before practice, after practice, on off days, after games, literally whenever she had the opportunity to get better, she took it.  She gave everything she had to the game, and it was so inspiring to watch.  She was also one of, if not the best player in the GLIAC her senior year, so it was incredible to see her hard work pay off.  Rachel is now in Grad School at Grand Valley studying to be a Speech Pathologist, and she is continuing her unmatched work ethic there.  The second is Abby Nakfoor, who was in my class.  She is the best leader and person in the world.  She had a heart of gold and truly encompassed what it meant to be a team player.  Abby is the most selfless person you will meet, and she will literally sacrifice anything for the good of the team.  I learned so much just from how she carried herself every day.  She is now on the coaching staff for the Women's basketball team at Bowling Greene!  I'd like to think I took a little piece of each of them with me here!

7. As a basketball fan, who would you say your favorite teams to watch?
Favorite team to watch??  This is the easiest question on here!  GO GREEN!  I've always been more of a college basketball fan, but when I watch the NBA, I root for the Celtics, and it's a bonus that Jayson Tatum is a blast to watch!  My whole family has been Michigan State fans since I can remember (except for my uncle who went to Michigan, but don't worry, we constantly let him know what a terrible life choice he made!).  I love Cassius Winston, solely because when you look at him, you never see a division 1 basketball player, especially one of the best in the country.  I love a good underdog story and when people prove others wrong.  And when Cassius steps on the floor, he has the mentality that he is the best, and he proves it night in and night out. 

8. What are your thoughts on Michigan State this season? Where do you see the year headed?
I have grown quite a few grey hairs because of them this year.  I bought an app on my TV that allows me to watch American cable specifically so I could watch MSU Basketball (okay, and the Bachelor), and because we are five hours ahead here, I stay up sometimes until 3:00 in the morning just for them to disappoint me!  But, I think they have gone through a lot of adversity this season, and I think starting ranked at the top put on an immense amount of pressure that they just weren't ready for.  Although they have had some tough losses, everyone knows that Michigan State plays its' best basketball in March, so I am not worried.  I think Izzo will have them ready to peak at the perfect time.  But they do need to finish out these last few games with wins, if they fall out of the rankings again, I'll lose my mind!

9. Some people may not know that you're one of the biggest Patriots fans out there. How do you feel about Tom Brady being a free agent? Do you think he comes back? Do you want him to come back?
I think it's a tossup between my mom and I who is more obsessed with the Patriots!  But together, we make for a very obnoxious pair living in Michigan.  Just to clarify, because everyone always accuses us of being "bandwagon" fans, we, and all of our family are from out east and have been Boston fans for years and years and years (even before the Dynasty!).  As for Tom, I really think him going to any other team besides the Pats will just hurt his legacy.  It says a lot about a player to complete their whole career, especially one as long as his, with one team.  I want him to come back, but I am really hoping The Patriots get some weapons around him.  A lot of people dogged on him this season, saying he’s too old and he’s washed up, but he really did not have a lot of options to throw the ball to, Edelman was always covered by the best opposing teams defender and that left Brady throwing to rookies and very inconsistent receivers.  We’ll see what happens, but I hope TB12 stays a Patriot for sure!

10. So you were the class president of Caledonia’s prestigious 2015 class. Is there a teacher that you find was your favorite during your time there? Also, when should the class of 2015 be expecting our first reunion?
The Caledonia Class of 2015 was definitely elite, and I may by biased, but I think the best to ever come out of Cal! (Editors Comments: Nick also agrees, though Zach would toss his hat in the ring for 2019) One of my favorite things about Caledonia was our faculty, we really had the best teachers.  They knew how to push you academically, but also knew how to have fun, which made our experience there unique.  I could name ten teachers that I consider my favorites, but I think Mr. Stancil may take the cake.  He was my AP Literature and AP Language teacher.  Those two classes were two of the hardest in the school, in my opinion, and as a science major, language and literature typically isn't my cup of tea.  However, Mr. Stancil made every single day in those classes enjoyable.  I would genuinely look forward to going to his class, and would be sad that it went by so quickly.  He was a perfect mixture of whit and class.  He also challenged me the most out of any teacher I've had, and I was so much better because of it. I am planning for our first reunion to be our ten year, so in 2025!  That sounds so far away, but it's going to be here before we know it!  

11. When this season and school year is over, what's next?
After I am done with my team here in England, I will have my Master’s Degree in Public Health.  I will be applying for Physician's Assistant Schools back in the United States, as it has been my goal to be a PA for a while now!  But for now, I am enjoying living in a new place, and soaking in every moment of this incredible experience!


SATURDAY’S GAMES

1. Iowa vs Penn State (12:00, BTN)

Lexi: Iowa- I think that the Hawkeyes are pretty upset about losing to MSU this week, so they come out with some fire in this game.

Nick: Penn State- The Nittany Lions have had a great season thus far, and they will continue that with another road win. Lamar Stevens took a step back the other night with only nine points, but this is a great bounceback game for him.

Sam: Iowa- This is a great game between two really good teams. It’s just hard to go against Luka Garza and the Hawkeyes at home.

Zach: Iowa- In the earlier matchup, Penn State did win at home by 3 and Garza had 34 and 12. Iowa is coming off of a loss to Michigan State, and I see Garza having a bounceback game even bigger than the last time these teams faced off

2. Maryland vs Michigan State (8:00, ESPN)

Lexi: Michigan State- Last time they played, MSU blew this game with three minutes to go. I think if that happens again, Izzo will have a heart attack, and nobody wants to see that, so Sparty has to play well.

Nick: Maryland- The Terps just seem to have that “team of destiny” feel in regards to the Big Ten Championship race. How else can you explain the pair of comebacks they had that seemed improbable against Minnesota and Michigan State? That being said, they take care of business at home, clinching at least a share of the Big Ten title. If Michigan State does win, it is going to need guys like Rocket Watts, Aaron Henry and Gabe Brown to really step up, much like Maryland gets from Darryl Morsell and Aaron Wiggins.

Sam: Maryland- Quite frankly, Michigan State has been abysmal on the road this season. This is such a big game for Maryland, and I think the duo of Stix Smith and Cowan get it done, they’ve made countless winning plays all season.

Zach: Maryland- Can Michigan State beat Maryland? Yes, and they proved they should have before the colossal choke at home. Now can they beat Maryland at XFINITY? I am not as sure. Michigan State does seem to win big games, and although Maryland has not been playing good basketball this entire month, they all but clinch the regular season title

3. Marquette vs Seton Hall (2:30, FOX)

Lexi: Marquette- The Seton Hall mascot creeps me out, and I love a good upset!

Nick: Seton Hall- This is an incredible Big East matchup, as the two best scorers in the country face off. Markus Howard is the #2 scorer in America (27.2 PPG), while Myles Powell is #14 at 21.3 PPG. I find this Marquette team similar to Michigan State in the fact that they always struggle to have consistent play from the supporting cast outside of Howard. I’m not sure that they will be able to get the ball rolling, although a sold-out Fiserv Forum could generate some momentum if the Golden Eagles get off to a hot start.

Sam: Seton Hall- Before the win this week against Georgetown, the Golden Eagles had really been struggling. Also, I’d love personally to see the Big East come down to Seton Hall at Creighton next week.

Zach: Marquette- Markus Howard, senior day, he’s getting about 50 shots and scores about 50. They win in a close one at the end in a game that the Pirates really need

4. Kentucky vs Auburn (3:45, CBS)

Lexi: Auburn- This is going to be a really great game, and it could go either way. Madison is my favorite contestant on The Bachelor, and her dad is a coach at Auburn, so Go Tigers I guess!

Nick: Kentucky- Something tells me that the Tigers will not be able to complete the season sweep, even though I like Bruce Pearl’s bunch a lot this season. Immanuel Quickley is an elite guard, and he may be the difference in this game at home.

Sam: Kentucky- Not to rain on any parades, but the Kentucky hype needs to cool. The SEC is garbage this year, and Kentucky has more talent than most teams in college basketball. Of course, they’re going to win the league, and by multiple games. 

Zach: Kentucky- Madison is also my favorite contestant on The Bachelor (quick shoutout to my Alma hoop squad), and the Tigers did win the matchup earlier in the season, unfortunately, the Wildcats are in the midst of a streak of not losing since then and I do not see that stopping in Rupp Arena

5. Virginia vs Duke (6:00, ESPN)

Lexi: Duke- There’s no way Duke loses two in a row to unranked opponents this close to March.

Nick: Duke- I think Lexi is spot on here. Coach K will have this team locked and loaded, and they will win this game. I think Virginia is a great team, and the defense can give any elite team a tough challenge, but I think that Duke will walk out a close winner.

Sam: Duke- The Blue Devils have serious defensive concerns, so it’s a good thing that Virginia can’t score. Tony Bennett once again though is doing a tremendous job. He is a top five coach in college hoops.

Zach: Duke- Not only are the Blue Devils just the better all around team, they really need this game to stay in the hunt for the league crown. Don’t sleep on JPJ Arena though, the Hoos win there

6.  Gonzaga vs St. Mary’s (10:00, ESPN2)

Lexi: Gonzaga- The Zags have been playing at a very high level all season, and I think it’ll take someone really good to knock them off again. I don’t see that being St. Mary’s.

Nick: Gonzaga- Gonzaga is still one of my favorites to win the National Championship. I think they are a truly elite team, and players like Filip Petrusev, Corey Kispert and Killian Tillie create the best frontcourt in college basketball. This will propel them to victory on Saturday, and they will be capable of a deep tournament run.

Sam: Gonzaga- Mark Few and winning the WCC. It’s happened every season this millennium but one. Oh the agony of taking second place back in 2011-12...

Zach: Gonzaga- I was just talking to Nick about how it is the same story every season (except 2017) with the Zags, they run their league, and then never get over the hump in the tournament. Is this the year they win it all? No

7. Villanova vs Providence (12:00, FOX)

Lexi: Villanova- I see Villanova winning this for the same reasons as Gonzaga. Providence isn’t going to be the team that knocks off the Wildcats.

Nick: Villanova- Can Providence keep their hot run going? Their backcourt is strong, but I think that Villanova has the advantage up front with a guy like Saddiq Bey. When in doubt, I’ll take the home team and the better coach, both of which happen to be Villanova.

Sam: Villanova- The Providence resume is getting better and better, but I can’t see them winning this game at Villanova. Saddiq Bey has been very good this year.

Zach: Villanova- Make it six straight against the Friars for Villanova and extend the win streak to six games heading into two pivotal games in the Big East

8. West Virginia vs Oklahoma (4:00, ESPN2)

Lexi: Oklahoma- The Sooners are on a high after their win against Texas Tech, and if Kristian Doolittle has another good game, they’ll win.

Nick: West Virginia- These teams come in on completely different tracks, as the Mountaineers have struggled their past few games, losing five of their past six. The one comfort for them would be that they are playing at home, where they are 13-1. Oklahoma also struggles on the road with a 2-8 record, so I’ll take West Virginia.

Sam: West Virginia

Zach: West Virginia- Cue Country Roads

9. UCLA vs Arizona (10:00, ESPN)

Lexi: Arizona- I just have a gut feeling that the Wildcats will win this game!

Nick: UCLA- The Bruins are a hot team, winners of six straight games. Take that with the fact that they are 12-4 at home and atop the Pac12, and I have to go with the hot hand until they prove me wrong.

Sam: UCLA- In Mick Cronin we trust! But seriously, credit to him for righting the ship after such a bad start to the season. I was very unimpressed with Arizona in their latest game at USC on Thursday, and I think they complete the LA swing without a win.

Zach: Arizona- UCLA finds themselves tied for first in the Pac 12 in a season where they have the seventh best record in the conference. In what might be the biggest game of their season, I see the freshman from Arizona taking over Pauley

10. Yale vs Princeton (7:00, ESPN+)

Lexi: Yale- The records in this game lead to me picking Yale, as I really haven’t watched either Ivy League team this season.

Nick: Yale- The Elis are the Ivy League’s best team, as Lexi alludes to above by record, and they are the best on the hardwood as well. 

Sam: Yale

Zach: Yale

Comments