TSR 3/8/20 CBB Picks w/ Guest Picker Cody Tucker



On Saturdays and Sundays for the remainder of the college basketball season, the TSR team is going to add guest pickers to our usual daily selections. They will be on the Guest Pick Standings page on the menu of our website. Our next guest picker is a journalist that has covered sports all over the country, including currently at 7220Sports.com, Cody Tucker.

Q&A w/ Cody Tucker


1. Can you take us through your account as a reporter? Where have you worked?

I have been covering sports now for nearly 13 years. Crazy to think about. I was fortunate to have a great professor in college who literally taught me from the ground up. I didn't own a computer, know what a jump drive or a verb was 13 years ago. Seriously. I came from the absolute bottom. By the time my college career was over, I'm proud -- and still a tad shocked -- to say that I won every first-place award you could win in sports writing, layout, photography, etc. I accepted my first job in Worland, Wyoming, a small town in the central part of the state that is known for bottling Pepsi and home to the boy's school. I made $650 every two weeks and covered six schools by myself. These schools were separated by hundreds of miles. too. Just a few months later, thank God, I was "stolen away” by a paper in Douglas, Wyoming, which is 120 miles north of my hometown, Cheyenne. I covered two really good high schools that won at everything. I really killed it there. After a couple of years I moved on to The Baytown Sun on the east side of Houston. I covered 16 high schools by myself down there, including a young quarterback named Jalen Hurts. I took a pay cut to go to Texas, but I covered some incredible athletes for a couple of years. I dabbled in radio after that, producing a show in my hometown and in St. Augustine, Florida. My former boss in Douglas was diagnosed with cancer and I went back there for two more years to help him out. That's where I met my wife, who is a St. Johns, Michigan, native. I saw there was an opening at the Lansing State Journal and told her I was applying. She asked if I thought I would get it. Despite having a ton of success throughout the years, I told her, "no." Then I got the call. Spent two years in Lansing, covering mostly MSU football and hoops. It was an awesome experience. After my time in Michigan I jumped to Pittsburgh for an opportunity to cover the Penguins. That was a really cool experience, minus my boss and his family. They made life hell so I was there for just under six months. That's when I decided I was coming home and starting my own thing.  

2. Why did you decide to start 7220Sports.com?
Honestly, I saw independent guys covering MSU every week and thought to myself, "I can do this back home -- and do it way better." I didn't miss a Wyoming Cowboys football game in Laramie for 28 years. Even when I was covering some Spartans games, I had the Pokes game going on my computer. My heart was always in Wyoming. I have the institutional knowledge of the program and I missed Saturdays in Laramie. Once things went south in Pittsburgh, I thought, "why not?" Wyoming has just two daily newspapers that cover the Pokes. As a fan, I was never impressed with the coverage. That's another huge reason I wanted to do this.

3. As a reporter at the LSJ, what was your favorite story/event that you covered?
Man, there were so many great stories and events. Event-wise, the NCAA Tournament in Tulsa and Detroit were a blast. Covering Tom Izzo in general is a dream come true. He is the best. Watching the Spartans go from 3-9 to 10-3 on the football field was pretty special, too. The lightning delay win over Penn State sticks out. That was a long day. My title was "sports storyteller" so some of my best moments were far from the public eye. Finding Charles Rogers in Fort Myers, Florida turned into something way bigger than I could've ever imagined. That was an eye-opener. Spending a few days in the mental institution in Chicago with convicted murderer, Hubert "Boo Boo" Thompson, was nothing short of a rush. Going to Las Vegas to hear the true story of Blake Ezor was special, so was handing in Phoenix with Tony Mandarich. There are so many moments that I am proud of at the LSJ. Doing food challenges with former players in Ann Arbor and Columbus were a painful blast, too! 

4. How about in general, is there a moment/event that you covered as a journalist that you found to be your favorite?
I'd probably have to go with Charles Rogers, honestly. When I got to the LSJ I told my boss that I vividly remember two former MSU football players -- Rogers and TJ Duckett. They told me if I found Rogers they would send me wherever he was. I knew people would be interested in that feature, but I never imagined that millions of people would read it, it would go viral and my phone would blow up the way it did. That story earned me Associated Press Sports Feature of the Year, which was great. But on a human level, I felt awful about the state of mind I found Charles in. He was such an unbelievable player with such a sad tale. I'll never forget my four days with him. 

5. Let's talk about your Wyoming Cowboys fandom. Who is your favorite Cowboys player, basketball and/or football?
Oh man, I've never gotten that question before, honestly. Growing up, my favorite football player was easily Marcus Harris. He won the Biletnikoff Trophy in 1996 as the best wide receiver in the nation. When he graduated that spring he was the NCAA's all-time leader in receptions and yards. He was a late-round draft pick of the Lions and was cut a few weeks into camp, unfortunately. He played for Joe Tiller, who most of your readers will remember from Purdue. He was at Wyoming first! My favorite Cowboy basketball player has some Michigan ties, too. That's Theo Ratliff, who played for the Pistons for a number of years. He blocked everything in Laramie. He was a high-flyer who captivated me as a kid. I wore my Wyoming Ratliff jersey daily. A few honorable mentions: Fennis Dembo (former Piston), Corad Dobler (meanest player in NFL history), Jay Novacek, Malcom Floyd, Larry nance, Josh Allen, etc. There are so many.

6. As a fan, is there a favorite moment of yours as a fan of Wyoming?
Beating UCLA in the Las Vegas Bowl in 2004 was pretty special. That Bruins team has Maurice Jones-Drew and Mercedes Lewis on it. They were a 14-point favorite and it was Wyoming's first bowl game since 1993. The Pokes stunning Gonzaga in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in 2002 was an awesome memory, too. Dan Dickau and the Bulldogs were upset that they were ranked sixth in the nation and got a No. 6 seed in the tourney. Wyoming was focused on winning. It was an unbelievable moment. Personally, one of my all-time favorite memories was knocking off Border War rival Colorado State in the 1996 season finale. The winner was headed to the inaugural WAC Championship game in Las Vegas. With just a few minutes left, the Cowboys drove 96 yards in the snow in Fort Collins to knock off the Rams. Anytime Wyoming beats CSU, it's a great memory. Same goes for BYU, Utah or Air Force.


7. You've followed the Mountain West extensively as a result of your connections with Wyoming. How do you think the Aztecs will perform in March Madness? Can they reach the Final Four?
Yes, I believe they can. They are a tight team led by Malachi Flynn and his 18 points per night. The Aztecs are loaded at every position and are extremely athletic. The are a deep team, too. It's amazing what former Michigan coach Steve Fisher did with that program. They were an absolute doormat when I was growing up. I mean, Tony Gwynn was their best player for years. There were no Kawhi Leonards running around. They have made a pair of runs to the Sweet 16 the past decade. This might be the time they at least get to the Elite 8. 

8. Did you play sports in high school/college? If so, is there a game that stands out to you?
I did. I was a starting first baseman and team captain all four years of high school. We won a pair of state championships that were amazing. We played in two regional championships in Calgary and Oregon. Baseball was always my first love. I played football, too, but was way more dedicated to baseball. I'd rather watch football. I earned a scholarship to a JUCO in central Nebraska. Unfortunately, Wyoming doesn't have college baseball anymore. They had a great tradition, too. Art Howe, best known for his role as the manager in "Moneyball," was one of the best players in UW history. Title Nine all but eliminated the program in the early 90's.


 9. What is the best basketball arena in the MWC? How about football stadium? Why?
As you could imagine, I'm very partial to the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie. It holds roughly 15,000 and is settled at 7,220 feet above sea level, the highest in the nation. When Wyoming hoops is good -- That place is the BEST. In reality, The Pit in Albuquerque is a special venue. They have hosted a ton of NCAA Tournament games and some great New Mexico squads. The Thomas & Mack in Las Vegas is really nice, too. That's where the National Finals Rodeo and the Mountain West Tournament are held. As far as football, Colorado State has the newest stadium. UNLV will be in the Raiders new stadium in 2020, But the best -- and it kills me to say this -- is probably the setting at Utah State. It's a smaller, more intimate setting right at the foot of the mountains. The MWC has a ton of unique stadiums though: the blue turf in Boise, Aloha Stadium in Hawaii, Falcon Stadium on the campus of the Air Force Academy and, of course, War Memorial Stadium at 7,220 feet.  

10. What is the craziest story you've had on the beat? Any "horror stories", whether it was the actual coverage or on your way there?
Probably the nut house with Boo Boo. He is a huge man and he wasn't in cuffs. In fact, no one was. Asking a man about murdering his neighbor is never fun, especially we that man is gigantic, cuff-free and sitting just across the table from you. I wasn't scared, but thinking about all the possibilities was worrisome. I covered a homicide in Douglas, Wyoming, once, too. That was crazy. I was the only one in the newsroom and heard the police scanner going nuts. A wanted man was at his father's funeral at the Catholic church down the street. The Feds had shown up there to arrest him. He ran out of the church and was shot and killed in the parking lot. Terrible scene. I show up with a camera and notepad and one of the family members threatened to kill me for being there. He "made me leave" the area and followed me all the way down the street. Hey, I'm a sports guy!

11. Of all of the coworkers you've had in the journalism industry, is there one that you feel impacted your career the most?
I've taken something away from all the good ones. Graham Couch was great to me in Lansing. He really took me under his wing and answered all my questions about MSU, Lansing, stories I should pursue, etc. He was great. Chris Solari was a trip to work with, too. He's a great dude and totally wired for a beat job. Guy never takes a breath. Other than that, I have to go back to my college professor, Roz Schliske. She could've easily told me journalism wasn't for me. Instead, she was patient and taught me everything. None of this happens without her.

12. What does the 2020 Wyoming Football season look like? Is there a storyline that you will be following as the offseason begins?
Big storyline: Who will be the QB Sept. 5 when Weber State pays a visit to Laramie? Sean Chambers is 9-3 as a starter and will be a redshirt sophomore this season. Both of his first two seasons at UW ended with a leg injury. Levi Williams will be a redshirt freshman in 2020. He played in parts of two regular-season games -- a win over CSU and a loss to Air Force -- and started and dominated the Arizona Bowl, tossing four touchdowns and rushing for another in a rout of Georgia State. Chambers is known for his running ability, Williams passing. Will be interesting to see which direction Craig Bohl goes. The Cowboys should be a favorite in 2020 along with Boise State to win the MWC. The lines of scrimmage are solid and so is the running game. Either QB will make things happen, too. UW football is in a great spot and the schedule is great. Toughest road games are at Louisiana and Nevada. "The beef" is coming to Laramie: Utah, Utah State, Boise State, Air Force and San Diego State. FCS Weber State was 11-3 last year, too.

13. It seems sort of random that you’re a Phillies fan despite living in Wyoming. Can you explain that?
Sure can -- the Phils were my first little league team I played on. The Rockies didn't come to the area (Denver is 100 miles south) until 1993. I was already a Lenny Dykstra, John Kruk, Darren Dalton nut by then. Worked out great. I loathe the Rockies and got to see the Fightins win it all in 2008. I even have a tattoo on my chest. Definitely a Phils fan for life. 

14. Finally, is there anything else you want readers to know that we didn’t cover above?
I loved my time in Michigan. If I have any gripes it's the gray skies and trees that made me crazy. We don't have trees in Wyoming, seriously, and the sun is out 350 days a year. It wasn't always easy to find Coors Banquet, either. All kidding aside, I am so thankful for my time in Mid-Michigan. Covering the Spartans was a dream job. The people were great, the fans were passionate and I made a ton of lifelong friends there. Shoutout to Jason Knick from Couch & The Rube. He will be a best friend for life.


TODAY’S GAMES


1. Maryland vs Michigan (12:00, FOX)

Cody: Well, there's no way I'm taking Michigan on this site. Not to mention Maryland is probably going to be a tad pissed off after most likely blowing a BIG regular-season title with a loss to ... Rutgers. I look for the Terps to take out some serious aggression in this one.

Nick: Maryland- This team still has the opportunity to clinch a share of their first B1G title, and they can do it at home. I like Anthony Cowan to will his team to victory on his Senior Day, cementing his legacy as the first guard to carry the Terps to a Big Ten crown.

Sam: Maryland- Michigan is definitely playing much better basketball than Maryland at the moment, but it’s hard for me to think that a team that won their first 15 home games of the season would lose their last two. On top of that, it’s hard to pick against Anthony Cowan on his Senior Day.

Zach: Maryland- The Terps have been playing their worst basketball of the season the last few games. Granted, they are playing good teams, but that doesn’t take away the fact they have let even the crummy Big Ten teams in games late and have escaped. I think that this is a huge rebound game for Maryland and they need this win going into the postseason. Love to see elite point guard stick around four years like Anthony Cowan, and he will have a huge game on Senior Day

2. Michigan State vs Ohio State (4:30, CBS)

Cody: I would hate to be a Buckeye this week. They are about to run into a buzz saw. Rutgers cracked the door for the Spartans and X is about to kick it in and kick OSU's ass. Raise another banner, East Lansing! Did I mention I can be an MSU fan now?

Nick: Michigan State- The Spartans, much like Wisconsin, appeared to be out of the Big Ten title race a few weeks ago. They then reeled off wins over Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska and Penn State to give themselves a shot at the crown. There is no way that this team will fail to deliver Cassius Winston a third straight Big Ten banner on Sunday evening. Although, this definitely makes you think of the Wisconsin game back in 2004 when the banner sat in the rafters and Devin Harris denied the unfurling.

Sam: Michigan State- I think this will be a great game, and I fully expect it to come down to the final possessions. Xavier Tillman against Kaleb Wesson is a grown man matchup down low, and I’m excited to see it. I think the playmaking ability of Rocket Watts and Aaron Henry propel the Spartans to their share of the title.

Zach: Michigan State- Do I feel confident in this pick? Absolutely not. But, have the Spartans won four games in a row, and the last three against ranked teams? Absolutely. I am not sure there is a team in the country that is hitting their stride as hard as Tom Izzo’s team right now. All eyes will be on this senior class, obviously led by Cassius Winston, but we all know what he brings to the table. I will be looking closely at what fellow senior Kyle Ahrens will do against his brother’s team. For all the troubles he has gone through, I really hope it is a memorable senior day

3. Minnesota vs Nebraska (1:00, BTN)

Cody: I am not even looking into this game. I don't care about stats, where it's being played or any of the above. When it comes to anything Nebraska, I'm taking the other team. Unless it's Colorado State or BYU. Go Gophers!

Nick: Minnesota- #Nebrasketball is Nebrasketbad. The only reason that they have some hope in this game is that the Gophers are stuck in the 12th seed in the B1G Tournament regardless of the outcome, so perhaps they are already looking ahead to Indy. Nebraska however, is locked into the 14 seed as well. This is a pretty meaningless B1G game...

Sam: Minnesota- Despite how the season has gone lately for the Gophers, there’s no way they can lose to Nebraska...right?

Zach:Minnesota- Although Nebraska had a really good first half at Michigan the other night, Cody is spot on. There is no reason to look at any factors in this game. Nebrasketball is bad. *Cue plug for Tim Miles should've never gotten fired

4. Illinois vs Iowa (7:00, BTN)

Cody: The Fighting Illini, despite injuries, are going to find a way to cap off this season with a big win over visiting Iowa.

Nick: Iowa- This is a winner take-all game for the last double bye in the Big Ten Tournament. Iowa has played in the NCAA Tournament, so these players have experience with big game pressures, while Illinois has struggled when they had a target on their back this year. I will take the B1G player of the year Luka Garza to deliver once again.

Sam: Illinois- It’s another phenomenal post match-up in the Big Ten, as Kofi Cockburn squares off against Luka Garza. The biggest issue here for me is Iowa’s play on the road this season, and I cannot trust them to get the victory away from Carver-Hawkeye.

Zach:Illinois- Although it is not their senior day, this might be, and should be the last time they see Ayo Dosunmu and Kofi Cockburn play at the State Farm Center. Kofi and Luka Garza cancel each other out and Illinois wins and covers the -3.5

5. Houston vs Memphis (12:00, CBS)

Cody: I'll take Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and Elvin Hayes' alma mater in this one. Good to see hoops on the map again in H-Town.

Nick: Zach is going to bring up the guards, and Cody touched on the alums, so I will look to the sidelines. The job that Kelvin Sampson has done to turn this program back around is phenomenal. He has made them a nationally recognized program, one miracle shot away from back to back Sweet 16s. I love the style of basketball that the Cougars play, and I look forward to seeing if they can win a tournament game for the third straight year.

Sam: Houston- The Cougars might feel good about their bubble position right now, but they certainly cannot afford to lose the rest of their games and expect to be in. They might as well start with a win here.

Zach:Houston- This might be the last time all of you get to hear it, so, HOW ABOUT THAT BACKCOURT FOR HOUSTON? LOVE IT! Freshman Caleb Mills, transfer Quentin Grimes, breakout player Nate Hinton, and the biter DeJon Jarreau

6.  Wichita State vs Tulsa (4:00, CBSSN)

Cody: I'm still upset Wyoming fell to Tulsa in football last season. Plus, Wyoming's own Mike Lansing played baseball at WSU. I'll take the Shockers for both of those extremely scientific reasons.

Nick: Tulsa- I love Coach Marshall and the Shockers, but Tulsa has remained atop the AAC for a reason. They have already clinched a share of their first AAC title (becoming the fourth league, along with the MVC, WAC and C-USA, that they have won a title in). This team wins in a hostile environment for the outright crown. I’m also tired of picking Wichita and having them let me down, so prove me wrong Coach.

Sam: Wichita State- This is a bad game between two teams that I think are undeserving of NCAA tournament bids. 

Zach:Wichita State- The Shockers band has a really cool chant thing they do

7. UCF vs East Carolina (2:00, ESPNU)

Cody: I just interviewed new Mississippi State football coach and Wyoming native, Mike Leach, last week. So, let's pick this game from his point of view. ECU is the Pirates. That's Leach's nickname. A Pirate and a Knight are strong characters, but one needs all that body armor. A pirate doesn't need a uniform. Just a sword and killer instinct. Mike and I are taking East Carolina.


Nick: UCF- Remember when the Knights were mere inches away from defeating Duke and Zion last year? Colin Smith is the lone contributor remaining from that team, and he has averaged 12.6 points per game this year. The spirit of Tacko Fall wills this team to victory.

Sam: UCF- TACKOOOOOOO!

Zach: UCF- I feel so bad for ECU’s Jayden Gardner, he deserves better. No one else on that team chips in

8. Tulane vs UCONN (4:00, ESPNU)

Cody: Here's another one of those "awesome" American Athletic Conference meetings. One that really brings out the passion of college hoops. There's nothing like a geographical grudge match between Connecticut and the Green Wave of New Orleans. I hate this conference -- most likely Boise State's new home in a couple years -- so I'm hoping they can both find a way to lose. But since that probably won't happen, I'll take UCONN since they can travel south and thaw out.


Nick: Tulane- The final AAC regular season game of all-time for the Huskies? Let’s finish UCONN’s run in the league with the final #NeverHurley post of the 2019-20 regular season. Tulane is trash, but I can’t go back on my promise to our loyal readers. In case you’re new to the show, I am not at all a fan of Danny Hurley, so I refuse to pick his team to win games.

Sam: UCONN- Dan Hurley. The Carpenter. I think that the Huskies are a legitimate threat to steal a bid, capable of a title run in the AAC Tournament.

Zach: UCONN- Yes Nick, we get it.

9. ASUN Championship Game: Liberty vs Lipscomb (3:00, ESPN)

Cody: Liberty- I’ll take the Flames in this game. I know some alums of the school, and they’d be real happy if Liberty gets the victory and another NCAA berth.

Nick: Liberty- The Flames went to Lipscomb and upset the top-seeded Bions’ team to earn the Atlantic Sun title. I really don’t understand why my two partners in this blog (see below) hate Scottie James so much. The guy is a tremendous player in Ritchie McKay’s system, and I love watching this Liberty team play.

Sam: Liberty- I cannot stand Scottie James. They will win this game though.

Zach: Liberty- I hope Lipscomb wins, because of my disdain for Scottie James, but he is just so good, as well as his team

10. Big South Championship Game: Winthrop vs Hampton (1:00, ESPN)

Cody: Winthrop- The coach of the Eagles is Pat Kelsey, who started 22 games as a freshman at Wyoming back in 1993-94. He then transferred to Xavier to finish his career, but I remember him as a starting guard for the Pokes 26 years ago.

Nick: Winthrop- Hampton has two of the nation’s top eight scorers (#3 Jermaine Morrow at 25.0 PPG and #8 Benjamin Stanley at 22.2 PPG). This is a high-powered offense, but Winthrop is a more cohesive offensive unit. They scored 81.5 points per game, including 106 in the quarterfinals for a reason. The Eagles are going dancing for the 11th time since 1999. 

Sam: Winthrop- I’ve got to take the Eagles because it’s the former home of Gregg Marshall, one of my favorite coaches.

Zach:Winthrop- Props to Hampton still being in this tournament as they were 7 games out of first place when this started. Their run ends here.

Comments