Best Logos in Sports: AFC


This is the fourth article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each AFC team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Nick: Not many options for this franchise, but they shouldn't ever go away from the perfect Ravens logo.

Zach: I think that the bird is a lot cooler than the shield, so this wins by default.

Sam: The alternate logo with the shield with the Maryland state flag in it is just so cool.

Eric: Props to the Ravens for using a unique color scheme, but I don't really like any of these.

BUFFALO BILLS


Nick: They have used this since the 70's and they should use it until 2070. Classic.

Zach: Although, I love the standing buffalo uniforms, this logo is just too iconic.

Sam: Too bad they haven't won the big one with this classic look...

Eric: Props to Buffalo for keeping the logo the same since 1974. I wish other teams would have done the same. I do miss the red helmets.

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Nick: The Bengals use this "B" currently, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to feature the tiger they're named after? 

Zach: I don't like the "B', and I would have picked the helmet logo if they used the actual helmet with the grey facemask back in the 70s.

Sam: The Tiger is quite cool, I must say

Eric: Simplicity wins out in Cincinnati. The tiger stripes have too much going on.


CLEVELAND BROWNS

Nick: Although the helmet is classic, they had so much success with this elf. Perhaps it's the curse of the Elf?

Zach: I'm not a huge fan of their uniforms now, but I love the full helmet. This is one of my favorite logos in sports. I also like the orange from the past instead of the current shade.

Sam: The current era helmet is the best that this terrible franchise has.

Eric: It's a simple logo, but everyone knows who the logo represents. I wish they would go back to the simple Browns uniforms in the 70s with orange pants.

DENVER BRONCOS

Nick: I think the Broncos did a good job of rebranding, and this is a logo they should continue to roll with.

Zach: When I was eight, I bought a helmet with this logo because I thought it was so cool. The colors are so much better.

Sam: The horse inside the D was perfect... not sure why they ever felt the need to change it.

Eric: I do not like the "flying/motion" Bronco currently used. That's one of my least favorites. I wish they'd go back to the royal blue and orange .


HOUSTON TEXANS

Nick: Very rare that an original logo can be so good. The Texans hit it on the first try.

Zach: The Texans logo is the only thing that people associate with the team. This is by default.

Sam: Too bad they have no other logo Nick...

Eric: 17 years and the same logo, that deserves credit. 


INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Nick: The horseshoe logo is a classic look for the Colts, and I am a fan of the more royal blue.

Zach: Although I like the royal blue better, I like the shape of the new logo more.

Sam: The more royal blue, the better!

Eric: Another team that realized if it's not broken, don't fix it. I've got to give the nod to royal blue too.


JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS


Nick: The Jags didn't need to rebrand, as the new jaguar looks worse in my opinion.

Zach: Everything but the helmets were improved by rebranding.

Sam: I love love love the alternate shield logo with the Jaguar in it with the mustard color background.

Eric: Like Carolina, they joined the teal/black era and that could have resulted in a better original logo. 


KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Nick: Talk about iconic and never change...Chiefs knocked it out of the park.

Zach: The Chiefs should never change their logo or uniforms. They are perfect they way they are.

Sam: Love this look

Eric: I love everything about what the Chiefs do now. However, I needed the world to see this logo that I just discovered, where they show the geographic reach of Chiefs kingdom.


LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

Nick: This is another iconic logo, with very little alteration over time.

Zach: I picked that logo because it doesn't have the outline.

Sam: It's not that classic, it's just okay.

Eric: This logo has stood the test of time, and amidst so many relocations. Classic.


LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Nick: Despite playing in so many different cities and stadiums, they have kept the lightning bolt. That's a positive.

Zach: Usually not a big shield guy, but I like how it incorporates the shield, colors and lightning bolt, in addition to the horse. This is one of the best color combos in the NFL, even with the dark blue.

Sam: The new alternate logo with the "Los Angeles Chargers" underneath the bolt with the splash blue background is awesome. Oh, and those new uniforms...

Eric: They will always be the San Diego Chargers in my heart. I'm glad they're going back to the powder blue. This may be the only logo the NFL didn't screw up in their new reveal this offseason.


MIAMI DOLPHINS

Nick: I like the cartoon dolphin the most of all of the Miami logos. 

Zach: I like the lighter colors, as well as the look of the dolphin.

Sam: The cartoon dolphin is for sure the best!

Eric: I am not normally a fan of teal, but I wish they'd wear the teal more. The "animal correct" logo of today looks stupid. Like the Baltimore Orioles, they need to go back to their old logo.


NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Nick: Patriot Pat never should have been abandoned in favor for this "running patriot". He's iconic and everyone loves when the Patriots go back to him occasionally.

Zach: I like the clear Patriot Pat, as the actual skin color adds a weird additional shade to the logo. 

Sam: Patriot Pat for the win

Eric: The current logo has to be the worst logo in the NFL. The "in-motion" patriot was a horrible rebrand. I don't like their logo, uniform, ex-quarterback or head coach. Go back to the Patriot Pat.


NEW YORK JETS

Nick: The Jets are named after jets, so it's only right they have a plane in their logo!

Zach: It looks like a logo that a five-year old would draw, but it works. Although I'm a current rebrand fan too.

Sam: The logo with the word "Jets" spelled out is by far the best. Even the J loops into a bit of an airplane

Eric: Their current logo stems back to logos of the past, but I will go with the 70's version. I am glad they will be bringing the kelly green back instead of the dark green.


PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Nick: Very little change in their recent history, but I will go with the logo that doesn't have the black outline

Zach: I don't like the black outline either...

Sam: They haven't changed much over time..

Eric: Like the Chiefs, everything about their brand is classic. I love their current logo, but I will once again feature a logo that I just learned about today.


TENNESSEE TITANS

Nick: It's been over 20 years, but the Titans have a pretty solid logo.

Zach: It's their only primary logo, so I have no choice. I also like their current uniforms over the previous style, so they have that going for them.

Sam: This is my one choice for primary logo

Eric: Props to them for using the same log since inception, but I don't like the "in-motion" logo. Bring back the Oilers!


BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Team that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)

The Baltimore Colts (1953-83) had a horse in their logo back in their prime.

Here is Eric's baby, the Tennessee/Houston Oilers.




Comments