Best Logos in Sports: Major League Soccer

This is the tenth article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each MLS team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

Eric: Just a general comment, I'm not a big fan of the soccer logos as a whole. The "shield" look just isn't great, yet everyone tries to do it.

ATLANTA UNITED 

Nick: Great team. Eh logo. It's too dark if you ask me...

Zach: Just not a fan. It looks like a travel wresting logo.

Eric: I like the color combination. This one is pretty cool.

AUSTIN FC

Nick: This is how you make a logo as an expansion team! Green and black is a great combo.

Zach: LOVE the colors.

Eric: When I think of Austin, the last thing I think of is a tree. Why do they decide to put a tree on there?!

CHICAGO FIRE

Nick: The Fire need to bring back this logo. 

Zach: One of the classic MLS logos. Love the use of the fireman badge.

Eric: The old logo is very unique. I don't know why they changed to whatever the heck their current logo is, but let's go back.

COLORADO RAPIDS

Nick: The Rapids came into the MLS with this beauty of a logo. I don't know why I like it, because it's quite ugly, but perhaps it's so ugly it works?

Eric: I like this logo a lot, because it isn't a shield and it also uses the rapids and the mountains that are iconic with Colorado.

COLUMBUS CREW

Nick: Much like the Fire, this logo is on the car of many in Grand Rapids, and that's perhaps why I think it's the most iconic for this franchise.

Zach: Another classic MLS logo. I had many battles with youth teams in these uniforms.

Eric: The silhouette people of the old logo is creative, but I like the bright yellow they use now is awesome.

DC UNITED

Nick: Freddy ADUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Zach: They could do so much better for being in DC.

Eric: This is a bad bunch of logos, but the use of the soccer balls are the best. Love the name though...

FC DALLAS

Nick: I like the use of the longhorn here. That screams Texas.

Eric: Now THIS is a logo that screams Dallas. Much better than what Austin did.

FC CINCINNATI

Nick: Though I like their colors, this shield logo isn't that great...try again FC Cincinnati.

Eric: I can't help but think of how this logo looks like a product in a grocery store.

HOUSTON DYNAMO

 
Nick: I wish they would have incorporated the orange more here.

Zach: I agree, more orange is necessary, but with a whole new logo. You can't add orange to this one.

Eric: I love the orange and black of the Dynamo. Pretty great name here as well.

INTER MIAMI CF

Nick: Pink coming into Miami logos, ever since the "Miami Vice" Heat logo is an interesting trend.

Zach: This logo is too dark, you can't really read it.

Eric: I don't know how I feel about the pink, but I definitely wish the words were in English.

LA GALAXY


Nick: This is a great rebrand. The original Galaxy logo was brutal.

Zach: I actually don't mind the original logo, but this is much better.

Eric: Man was that original logo nasty...I actually like this logo. It's simple but sharp and to the point.

LAFC


Zach: I chose the clean "LA". Even though the shield is a soccer thing, it looks better without it.

Eric: Not a huge fan of the angel wings, but I love the black and gold colors.

MINNESOTA UNITED

Nick: I really like the color scheme that MNUFC has implemented.

Eric: I'm not sure what to say here...I really don't understand all of the feathers on that bird...

MONTREAL IMPACT

Nick: This logo comes from their pre-MLS days, but I wish that they used it when they joined the MLS.

Eric: On top of the solid black and blue color combo, I love the touch to the French heritage. One of the few logos I like in the MLS.


NASHVILLE SC

Nick: BRUTAL. Come on Nashville. What a horrible attempt at a logo. Try again.

Eric: Again, what is going on here?! It reminds me of a cheap dog tag that you could buy at the junk store on vacation.

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION

    

Nick: Classic. LOVE the American Flag logo concept.

Zach: Love the Revolution logo that looks like an American flag.

Eric: The only thing I like is the soccer ball. Just like the Patriots logo, I don't like that the flag is "in motion".

NEW YORK RED BULLS

Zach: I like how they stole the Red Bull logo with Red Bulls on it.

Eric: Red Bull!

NEW YORK CITY FC

Nick: The two shades of blue are a fantastic contrast. Good work NYCFC.

Eric: Nice job here. Looks classic, like many of the other NY pro sports teams.

ORLANDO CITY FC

Zach: Love the purple.

Eric: I know I've said it so many times, but what are they thinking? I can't help but think of the cowardly lion in Wizard of Oz...

PHILADELPHIA UNION

Zach: The lighter background is much easier to read.

Eric: This looks like it belongs on Philadelphia City hall, not a sports team.



PORTLAND TIMBERS

Nick: This green and yellow combo just works. I love it.

Eric: Credit to Portland, all of their logos look like sports logos!

REAL SALT LAKE

Zach: I think adding "Real" to the shield makes it sloppy.

Eric: Clearly the new shield tightens things up a bit, but still not a great logo. Definitely better than the original though.

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Nick: This reminds me of my unstoppable team on Backyard Soccer with Landon Donovan. Go Earthquakes! They will always be my favorite team until Detroit gets the team they deserve.

Zach: What a simple logo. A soccer ball and a shield.

Eric: Their logo doesn't even have their full name on it! They used a nickname? I appreciate the traditional name (city then nickname). The light blue is better.

SEATTLE SOUNDERS

Eric: This is a top 5 logo in the MLS. I love the color combo and the use of the Space Needle.

SPORTING KANSAS CITY

Nick: I wish they didn't rebrand because I love the Wiz/Wizards (see below).

Eric: I like the color combination, but I don't understand the logo.

TORONTO FC

Eric: I like the use of the maple leaf atop the logo, and the lighter red is a good touch.

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS

Nick: The Whitecaps have great colors, and this logo is unique. I like it's use of the triangles to look like above water/below water ice caps.

Eric: I really dig this. I like the colors and design. It's totally unique. I will say this is the BEST logo in the MLS.

FORMER TEAMS--The Best of the Old MLS


Nick: The MetroStars, what a franchise. The current NY Red Bulls don't match the level of awesomeness that the MetroStars had.

Zach: How can you not love a logo that says "Wiz" with a soccer ball?

Eric: All of the old logos, much like most of the current logos just don't do it for me.








Comments

  1. Check out this article I wrote regarding the Chicago Fire �� logo change. https://us.bolavip.com/soccer/opinion-bring-back-the-true-chicago-fire-badge-20200603-0002.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment