Best Logos in Sports: National League Teams


This is the first article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each National League team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

Order from Top to Bottom, Left to Right: (Nick, Zach (top)/ Sam, Eric (bottom))

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS


Nick: I LOVE the Purple/Green phase that the 90's went through, especially since they're inaugural colors.

Zach: Great color scheme. I think the A's intricate design on the inside is a great touch. Better jerseys too with this logo!

Sam: This logo just screams Randy Johnson. Love the purple and green

Eric: Not a big alternate logo guy, but this one is pretty sweet.

ATLANTA BRAVES


Nick: I just find the current "A" to be rather boring...

Zach: Great uniforms connected with this logo, and once again it's too bad it's now politically incorrect.

Sam: But the Redskins can still have their logo...

Eric: Even though not the original, it keeps the Braves name true. Although, the lower case "a" really looks good with the powder blue.

CHICAGO CUBS


Nick: The "C" is there that needs to be there, and this old-time bear is a great touch!

Zach: Although I'm unsure this is the best Cubs logo, this is the one I know the Cubs to have, so it's got to be my favorite.

Sam: Just like Z said, I don't find it crazy special, but it's iconic because of who the Cubs are.

Eric: Hard to argue with a classic.

CINCINNATI REDS


Nick: The Big Red Machine era logo is definitely the best Reds logo, no doubt about it.

Zach: I like the use of the mascot in this logo, while still maintaining the current "C'.

Sam: I like that one, but I have to disagree with Nick here. I love the logo that preceeded this one for nearly 15 years

Eric: A logo from a great era of Cincinnati baseball with distinctive Cincinnati "C".

COLORADO ROCKIES

 

Nick: The Rockies...Rocky Mountains...need we say more?!

Zach: They only have two primary logos in their history, and this beats the "CR".

Sam: Yeah, I hate the "CR" too.

Eric: Props to them for using the same logo since inception.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Nick: This is it...beats the "LA".

Zach: I think that this is an underrated logo, and they incorporate all their colors in this logo.

Sam: Same as it's always been

Eric: The same logo they've used since moving to California.

MIAMI MARLINS


Nick: The teal-colored Florida Marlins are so much better than the garbage designs of the Miami Marlins. I always thought the "alternate" logo with the "F" and the Marlin were the better of the two.

Zach: Out of all of their logos in their history, this color scheme and logo are the most simple. They also had the most success under this logo. 

Sam: I don't like any of the Marlins logos

Eric: Clearly the worst logos in baseballl...

MILWAUKEE BREWERS


Nick: I enjoy this logo of all of the "modern" logos since it incorporates the state of Wisconsin. Can I take a second to point out how ugly the 1994-99 diamond with the interlocking MB was? Oh my...

Zach: Probably one of my favorite logos in all of sports, the "MB" glove with the baseball is pretty sweet. Oh, and the colors are fantastic, especially the shade of blue.

Sam: I just found out probably 4 weeks ago that the glove had the "MB" in it. That only made this logo that much better for me.

Eric: Took me a long time to realize there was an "MB". Looks great in the powder blues.

NEW YORK METS


Nick: The Mets basically have this and their "NY" logo. Let's go with the primary with the skyline.

Zach: I like the city skyline incorporated in the logo. Great color scheme and execution. It's a baseball!

Sam: The skyline is quite the touch

Eric: Another great team logo that has been used for a long time.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES


Nick: How can you not take the Phillies' logo with the iconic Philadelphia building in it?

Zach: Classic "P". I loved this color scheme with the maroon, light blue and white. Maroon > Red.

Sam: The old school "P" is awesome, but I love the present day logo paying homage to the Liberty Bell.

Eric: Picked this logo, but I've also been a big fan of the baseball logo too.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Nick: The Pirates don't have many great logos, and this one just gets the job done.

Zach: Simple. A lot of little league games with kids sporting the "P" caps, go Advanced Food Pirates!

Sam: This logo reminds me of one of my favorite players in Andrew McCutchen.

Eric: This logo corresponds with the best hat in baseball.

SAN DIEGO PADRES


Nick: The Swinging Friar is one of the treasures from its era of baseball. Greatest first logo out there?

Zach: I think the Padres have had the best complete logo history of any baseball franchise. It was a tough choice to pick one, but I find this creative and so it gets the nod.

Sam: Hard disagree with Z on this one. It's really a shame Tony Gwynn had to rock the blue and orange.

Eric: Everyone loves the original Swinging Friar.

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS


Nick: This logo is incredibly simple, but I really do like it. Much better than some of the fonts they used in their past when they had the script "Giants" across the baseball...

Zach: Something about these interlocking logos. This is classic, simple and has been used forever.

Sam: Nothing will beat the alternate logo paying homage to the Golden Gate Bridge

Eric: With orange and black, they could do so much better.

ST LOUIS CARDINALS


Nick: The Cardinals used a different bird for a long time, but this logo gives the feel that it has stood the test of time.

Zach: Repeat what I said about the Giants, interlocking logos are classics.

Sam: Love this bird

Eric: Although they've had great past logos, I will go with the current one.


WASHINGTON NATIONALS


Nick: This rivals the Padres in terms of great inaugural logos. I really like the font in Nationals and the incorporation of the stars to give it a federal feel.

Zach: I used to write my "W" like this!

Sam: Strong disagree with Nick here, I was NOT a fan of the inaugural logo. I really like the current logo, and I'm totally bummed they couldn't make a "DC" logo look cool

Eric: The Nationals did okay with their logos, although the Walgreens "W" is a little disturbing.

BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Teams that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)



Nick: What do you get when you incorporate parts of my favorite Brewers and Braves logos? The Milwaukee Braves logo from the team's time in Wisconsin between 1953-1965.

Zach: Did you know the Colt .45s were named after the Afroman song...all jokes aside, I like the gun in the logo.

Sam: What a great song Z, but can't forget about the Expos!

Eric: The Boston Beaneaters. What a nickname, and how about the logo? Beans, beans, the magical fruit! The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So let’s eat beans at every meal!






Comments