Best Logos in Sports: American League Teams



This is the second article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each American League team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

Order from Top to Bottom, Left to Right: (Nick, Zach (top)/ Sam, Eric (bottom))

BALTIMORE ORIOLES


Nick: The cartoon bird is the Orioles' best option, and any of those logos are great.

Zach: I think this is a classic look that I'm glad they brought back. I do have this hat as well.

Sam: Nothing tops the alternate cursive "O's" look for me. I guess having that hat doesn't hurt, either.

Eric: Now that they have moved away from the real-looking bird, this is a good logo.

BOSTON RED SOX

Nick: I could have gone with the "B", but the Red Sox need to show off their red socks.

Zach: This is what I always think of the Red Sox being, a real MVP Baseball 2005 feature right here. 

Sam: For as historic of a franchise this has been, they don't have great logos. Regardless, I did love the logo with simply "Boston"

Eric: Another great logo created in the 70's.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX


Nick: For a team that has gone through so many logos and colors, this one is definitely the best.

Zach: It was instilled in me at a young age (Thanks E) that this is the best White Sox logo. He isn't wrong. 

Sam: Must've rubbed off on your brother, Eric. )Jeff) and myself also love this one.

Eric: The logo used here by the White Sox is one of baseball's best. Huge mistake changing to the modern logo.

CLEVELAND INDIANS


Nick: It's too bad that Chief Wahoo was politically incorrect, because this is one of the most iconic logos in baseball.

Zach: It's a shame they don't use this logo anymore due to the political correctness issue. I need to buy a hat before it goes away completely, as much as I don't like the Indians.

Sam: Politically correct or not, Chief Wahoo was the best.

Eric: Chief Wahoo is and always will be Cleveland baseball.


DETROIT TIGERS

Nick: The Olde English D is the best logo in baseball, and arguably the best in sports. Not many logos are more recognizable than this one.

Zach: Not many choices, they have used the Olde English D for a long time. The modern look is the best look.

Sam: Olde English D is LEGENDARY

Eric: Huge, huge, huge fan of the Olde English D. However, this is the logo I grew up with.

HOUSTON ASTROS

Nick: How can you go against this throwback logo with the Astrodome included?! Love the orange and blue color scheme too.

Zach: This was the logo back when they were the worst team around. I think this color scheme was the best.

Sam: The dome in the logo is awesome! Glad the Astros got back to the blue and orange.

Eric: This logo features the stadium! Also love the prominent use of orange.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

Nick: So many variations of this logo, but this one seems the cleanest and most put together.

Zach: The crest has changed slightly over time, and I think this one is the best.

Sam: Always loved the scoreboard going with the logo look as well.

Eric: The removal of the R inside the shield is the best move. I love the script "Royals" too.

LOS ANGELES ANGELS

Nick: Another team with an identity crisis (so many team names and logos), the best one has to be the current look.

Zach: One of my more controversial picks. Most people weren't fans of the logo at the time, but I like the fact that it incorporates baseball aspects with the team name, and the colors are great. Shoutout to Mo Vaughn the GOAT.

Sam: Totally agree with Z here, it's just so so unique. Plus, they look sweet in MLB The Show.

Eric: For being around so long, the Angels have had some of the worst logos. Z's choice is one of the worst ever. I like the lower case "a".

MINNESOTA TWINS

Nick: Although I love the one that Zach chose, I couldn't allow the possibility that the Twins didn't highlight the Twin City brothers with the Minneapolis/St. Paul jerseys!

Zach: Only really had two logos in my life, and this one is the one that I know them most as. Peep the underlined "Win" in Twins.

Sam: Call me crazy, I really do like the modern era logo. It also has the "Win" in Twins underlined.

Eric: I do like the "TC" logo, but I will go with the Twins over the river in modern form.

NEW YORK YANKEES

  
 
Nick: I wish the Yankees used this logo more. I love this logo.

Zach: I'm not sure there is a more recognizable sports logo in the world. You see this logo on caps everywhere.

Sam: The interlocking NY is the most classic of classics.

Eric: The Yankees have timeless classics. You can't go wrong with the interlocking NY or the Uncle Sam cap. The Yankees' are America's team.

OAKLAND ATHLETICS
Nick: Another team with some interesting varieties of green and gold throughout their time, the A's best logos are when they keep it simple.

Zach: Another controversial pick, as this is more a BP/Alternate Logo, but I love the incorporation of the elephant.

Sam: The Elephant with the bats in its mouth is so bad that I love it.

Eric: Nothing beats their original logo. In the 70's they had some of baseball's best uniforms, especially the Sunday Dress Whites

SEATTLE MARINERS

Nick: Wow have the Mariners had bad logos in their day or what? I don't even really like this one...

Zach: This has been their logo my whole life, I don't know them using anything else.

Sam: The "S" with the green background was awesome. Also a plug for T-Mobile park while I'm at it. One of the best I've ever been to, it's a shame it's so overlooked.

Eric: Nothing beats the original once again. This is a team that needs to go back to their first color scheme,..

TAMPA BAY RAYS

Nick: I'll always be a fan of the teal/purple/green days of sports logos, the 90's knew how to do it right!

Zach: It's a real shame they went away from the Devil Rays. I liked the logos, colors and vest uniforms.

Sam: "Tampa Bay" with the green backdrop is clean.

Eric: Tampa Bay has gotten better over time. Their current logo is on point.

TEXAS RANGERS

Nick: For a first logo, the Rangers have to be up there in terms of the best. Nothing says Texas more than the Cowboy hat.

Zach: I like the use of the state of Texas in this logo.

Sam; The alternate logo of the state flag is awesome. Simple, and more than gets the job done.

Eric: Poor Texas Rangers fans. For a team that has been around, they haven't had a great logo. The original is the best of a bad bunch.

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Nick: I am a huge fan of all of the Blue Jays logos that have incorporated the maple leaf and the bird. This one gets the nod because I wanted to make sure it got some love in this article.

Zach: Another classic look that they have brought back into the fold more today.

Sam: I tend to try and play to devils advocate to Eric, but I 100% agree with everything he said.

Eric: They never should have messed with perfection. The original logo is the best, and they looked great with powder blue.

BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Teams that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)

Nick: The St. Louis Browns (1902-1953) used this gem where they incorporated the famous Apotheosis of St. Louis statue and the brown/orange shield

Zach: The Boston Americans (1901-1907) used this simple logo back before they became the Red Sox.

Sam: How about the Kansas City A's?!

Eric: The Philadelphia A's (1901-1954) used this simple "A" between 1902-19.


Comments