Best Logos in Sports: NHL's Eastern Conference


This is the fifth article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each NHL Eastern Conference team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

BOSTON BRUINS

 
Nick: This is a classic from an Original Six club. In the words of Chris Clark...Go Bruins Go.

Zach: One of the most classic logos, although I wish they would incorporate the bear more.

Sam: The original logo for an original six member... gotta love it

Eric: Classic logo with very little tweak since 1949. Though I like the original log, this one is simple and unique.

BUFFALO SABRES


Nick: There have been some plethora of bad logos from the Sabres, this is the best of all disasters.

Zach: I am glad they changed from what they had, the red phase was awful. The royal blue is better than the current shade.

Sam: The original logo is probably the best of a bad bunch. I wish they would do something cool with the word Buffalo

Eric: Very close to their current logo, although I am a sucker for the royal blue. I am glad they got rid of the "Sabre in Motion".

CAROLINA HURRICANES

   

Nick: This is pretty much it from the Hurricanes in terms of primary logos.

Zach: It's very interperative, so that's creative I guess? I think it's an awful logo.

Sam; the jersey logo with the word "Canes" going down sideways is legit.

Eric: Carolina has had one logo their entire existence. I'm glad they've stuck with a consistent logo. It's pretty cool considering they worked with the nickname "Hurricanes".

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

  
Nick: Something about this throwback logo in Columbus speaks to me. I don't know what this logo even is honestly, but I like it.

Zach: I used to have a jersey with this logo on it. I like how it's a CBJ if you look close enough.

Sam: Yeah, the alternate is definitely the best

Eric: I still don't know what a Blue Jacket is, and I have no idea why they picked the nickname. I do like the Ohio state flag wrapped around.

DETROIT RED WINGS

 
    

Nick: The winged-wheel is one of the most iconic logos in sports. It is without a doubt the NHL's best.

Zach: Although I really like the purple octupus logo, I feel all credibility would be lost if I don't pick this one. It's a wing and a wheel. It's simple, but it works. Never change.

Sam: NEVER CHANGE BABY

Eric: A prime example of classic NHL Logos. The NHL does logos better than any other league, and this is one of them. The current logo is only an improved minor tweak of the original logo that dates back to 1932. The winged-wheel is a classic.

FLORIDA PANTHERS

   
Nick: This is a fierce panther, compared to the more tame (and more lame) edition they use now.

Zach: I'm only picking this logo because it's better than what they've got now, although I give the jersey nod to their current style.

Sam: I don't really like any of these logos, but the present day is the "best" of them

Eric: Being an expansion team, they certainly could have picked better colors. I do like the reasoning behind choosing Panthers as a nickname, and I like the pouncing panther instead of the shield that resembles a soccer team.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

    
        
Nick: The Canadiens also have a classic look that has only slightly altered over time, never change!

Zach: I think it should be an unwritten rule that Original Six teams should never change their logos, because they're all awesome. This just adds to that argument.

Sam: For being an original six member, the Canadiens certainly have had its share of logos. The present day one is easily the best, and is a great classic look.

Eric: Again, another example of a classic, awesome NHL logo. Only minor tweaks have been made since 1920. Love this logo.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

  
Nick: Not many options here in New Jersey, but why change what isn't broke?

Zach: I like the "NJ" forming a seductive devil, that's creative.

Sam: I'd argue it is broke... regardless, best logo they have is the present day look.

Eric: I think that the green/red color combination was much better than the black/red. Black/red is the most overrused combination in sports. Props to them for at least keeping the same logo however since their move to New Jesrsey in 1982.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS



Nick: Similar to the Devils, all Islanders logos are pretty similar, but it gets the job done.

Zach: I like that they went back to the royal blue in 2010, though they have added outlines over the years. I'm not a fan of outlines, so I'll pick the 1972 edition.

Sam: I absolutely love the alternate logo of the "NY" with the Y becoming a stick. I enjoy that it gets rid of the circle with "islanders" underneath.

Eric: Except for a two-year stretch that brought one of the ugliest logos in hockey, the Islanders have stayed relatively the same. Props to the current logo, which has made minor tweaks to the original to make it better.

NEW YORK RANGERS

  


Nick: Relate this back to Boston, another Original Six logo that shouldn't be tampered with.

Zach: I think the colors that they use now are the best. There have only been minor shield shape changes since the original.

Sam: Ditto, Nick.

Eric: The shield "Rangers" has been their classic look since 1926, with only small changes. I love that the Rangers diagonal is also used diagonally on their sweaters.

OTTAWA SENATORS




Nick: I like this older version of the Senators logo, as it looks like a Spartan warrior. Go Green!

Zach: Back in my prime video game days of NHL 2003 on GameCube, I could beat anyone in the world with this Senators team.

Sam: I love the alternate logo with the shield with "Ottawa Senators" inside of it. Very, very sharp.

Eric: Just not a big fan of any of the logos. I don't really like the color scheme either. I prefer the alternate logo that is unique and pays homage to Canada.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

   
Nick: The Flyers don't change much, but add it to the list of Eastern Conference teams that should never change what works so great.

Zach: It's another classic logo that I don't think should change. Big shoutout to nameplates on the jerseys.

Sam: Right there with ya Nick. Lots of great classic looks in the East, none of which should change.

Eric: Though I normally am not a fan of things "flying", they are the Flyers. It's another classic logo.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS


Nick: I'll take the Mario Lemieux-era logo over the Sidney Crosby-era logo.

Zach: I like the yellow compared to the lighter shades of brown, and I also like the old school feel with the blue circle.

Sam: The second oldest logo the Penguins have should still be its logo...

Eric: I love that all three Pittsburgh major league teams have the same color combination. Also, I'm glad they went back to yellow from the gold, and that they went from the real penguin back to the cartoon.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING


Nick: This Lightning logo is the best out of all of the similar options.

Zach: I like the simplicity of the lightning bolt. Also, I like the color scheme. It's sharp.

Sam: I agree with Nick here. The grey is a great look and the "Tampa Bay" crossing over the bolt is righteous. 

Eric: One of the few expansion teams that their logos have improved over time. I love the royal blue and white. It's simple and it works.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

 



Nick: I like this shape of the Maple Leaf more than the current/throwback edition.

Zach: This is the best shape of the Maple Leaf, almost a die-cut. It's also the best shade of blue. I don't the new logo's "ziggle zaggles"

Sam: The current logo is a sharp look.

Eric: This logo most closely resembles the Canadian maple leaf. As always, I love the royal blue.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

  



Nick: The use of the nation's colors and the hockey stick as the "T' is a fantastic logo design.

Zach: Although I'm glad they went back to the red white and blue after the 20 years of a color scheme that was an absolute travesty, 

Sam: I absolutely love the present day alternate with the bird. Just awesome.

Eric: I love everything about this logo. I like the incorporation of the hockey stick and the royal blue. I'm glad they left the black phase behind us.

BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Teams that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)



The Kansas City Scouts (1974-76) were short-lived, but they had an awesome logo! 

The Hartford Whalers have now been gone for 23 years, but their iconic logo lives on forever.

The Atlanta Thrashers (1999-2011) had a logo that well....existed.

The Atlanta Flames (1972-80) inspired a great logo in Calgary as well.






Comments