Best Logos in Sports: NHL's Western Conference


This is the sixth article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each NHL Western Conference team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

ANAHEIM DUCKS

  
Nick: The Disney inspired "Mighty Ducks" logo is awesome, and uses the teal from the 90's. 

Zach: I like this color combo better, the creativity with the Duck and the old school hockey mask.

Sam: Gordon Bombay, the LEGEND

Eric: You;'ve got to use the logo that was inspired by the movie that named the team. I like the current logo, but I hate the color scheme.

ARIZONA COYOTES

 



Nick: I always had mixed feelings about this logo, but in hindsight I like it a lot.

Zach: I have a hat like this, and it's better than what they've got now.

Sam: The alternate logo with the "AZ" inside the shape of the state of Arizona is really cool.

Eric: The Coyotes are a mess. I hate their colors. Their original logo had potential, but it turned into an abstract art project that was done on LSD.



CALGARY FLAMES

Nick: The Calgary Flames "C on fire" is an awesome logo. 

Zach: The lighter colors are better, and I prefer that there isn't black incorporated.

Sam: Present day logo is fine... not much to like here

Eric: Not a fan of the black outline. Nice continuation of their time in Atlanta.



CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Nick: Interesting that this logo gets little attention in the political correctness realm, and that's a good thing because this is another Original Six logo that is amongst the most iconic in hockey.

Zach: Like the Redskins, if this logo goes, so many are in trouble. This is a classic.

Sam: I've really only ever liked the alternate logos.. and the present day one with the yellow is great.

Eric: Definitely one of the best logos in any sport. This has remained relatively unchanged since the beginning. The minor modifications have been nice enhancements.



COLORADO AVALANCHE

  

Nick: The Avs haven't had too many logos, so not much more to choose from.

Zach: This is the only real choice that I had, so it wins by default.

Sam: yeah, this logo is just ok...

Eric: I would prefer the Nordiques logo. Relatively unchanged since their start in 1995, I'll take the original since that was used when Patrick Roy and Claude Lemeiux got their ass kicked physically against the Red Wings.


DALLAS STARS



Nick: I like this logo due to the use of the gold and the dark green, compared to the current scheme.

Zach: I really like the rebrand. I think they did a great job.

Sam: The present day logo was a much needed, and very good, upgrade.

Eric: This team should still be in Minnesota. I'll take the original logo with theh kelly green.



EDMONTON OILERS

Nick: This logo hasn't changed much, and once again it never should. It's a great and simple look.

Zach: These colors are better than present, with the royal blue and orange.

Sam: The OG is definitely the best.

Eric: The Oilers have been pretty consistent since the beginning. As you know my love for royal blue instead of navy, I pick the original.



LOS ANGELES KINGS

Nick: The Kings need to go back and use the gold/purple scheme that they used back in the day. Iconic.

Zach: The Kings have the best logo history variety wise in the NHL. They have done great things with multiple color schemes, but the black/silver is sharp.

Sam: I personally hate the Lakers wannabes look, I'm a much bigger fan of the present day logo.

Eric: Why on God's green Earth did they ever go away from purple and gold? Such a great color combo.



MINNESOTA WILD

  
Nick: The Wild haven't really mixed things up since joining the league, but there are so many layers to this logo that it's awesome. Never change Minnesota.

Zach: Like the Avs, this is all I've got...

Sam: I liked the original logo with the "Minnesota Wild" spelled out over top the logo.

Eric: Not a big fan of the logo, a lot going on there. Give them credit for using red and green.  I'm not sure why it's supposed to be a picture of the great outdoors in the shape of an animals head.



NASHVILLE PREDATORS

  
Nick: Since the Preds are another team that has stayed pretty consistent, I just want to say that Nashville as a hockey town has really grown on me.

Zach: The Preds haven't had the brest logo history, so I guess I'll go with this one.

Sam: The Preds have kind of always been that one team outside the Wings that I've had an interest in. The present day logo is amazing.

Eric: There's not a lot to like about Nashville logo wise. Not a big fan of either primary logo they've used. I'll take this alternate logo that I suppose is the best of an awful bunch.



SAN JOSE SHARKS

  

Nick: This logo was one reason that I loved the San Jose Sharks as a kid. This one is awesome.

Zach: The shark looks better in this logo, plus this is what I remember on the old video games.

Sam: Don't exactly think any of these are very good, but the original would be my choice.

Eric: The Sharks have remained relatively similar since joining the league. I don't quite understand the changes they made to get to the current logo. I'll take the original. Not bad for an expansion team.



ST, LOUIS BLUES



Nick: The St. Louis Blues join the party of awesome logos that have been used for a long time. 

Zach: I like the yellow more, and I'm not a big fan of outlines if you haven't picked up on that yet.

Sam: The present day alternate is all around awesome. You've got the arch with the logo inside of it and the circle around it all. Gotta love it.

Eric: Another timeless classic hockey logo. Thank God they got out of the red accent color phase. I took the original, which is very close to what you see now.



VANCOUVER CANUCKS


Nick: The Canucks had a bad stretch of 20 years with the yellow, orange and black logo. The rest of their logo history however, has been pretty sweet. I'll take the whale over the simple hockey stick.

Zach: I like that they incorporated all blue shades, and that they went away from the red. I like that they use green still, but it's not forced into the logo.

Sam: The present day alternate with the hockey stick is a spinoff of the original logo, but even better.

Eric: The Canucks have been all over the board with their logos and colors. Although I didn't mind the yellow, brown and orange phase (except those "v" sweaters), they have boucned back really nice with the navy blue/green combination, which harkens back to their original roots in the 70's.



VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS

 
Nick: One primary logo, and the Golden Knights did well. The expansion draft was unfair though...

Zach: This would have been my favorite squad, but now I have to wait for the next expansion (Seattle) to have a NHL team.

Sam: Expansion draft was totally fair... love seeing the expansion teams be good so quickly.

Eric: Hockey in Vegas? You would think a tam that is in a town like Las Vegas would have a much better logo than what they do. Roll the dice and try again.. Leave mine blank.



WINNIPEG JETS

Nick: Wrong version of the Jets, but this is the best logo Winnipeg has ever used. I will say the current logo is pretty darn sweet through...

Zach: As much as I liked the old one, I chose this as my NHL Ultimate Team and my team is called "Air Force One" so that was creative and the reason I'll choose this one.

Sam: I've always loved the present day logo. Just awesome all the way around.

Eric: Their second go around as a franchise produced their second best logo. I will take the original Jets.



BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Teams that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)



Nick: The Minnesota North Stars (1967-93) may have one of hockey's best logos of all time.

Zach: The Quebec Nordiques! I just got a Nordiques hat, so I like the logo that goes with it!

Sam: The Seals were around for a decade, and they went through three name changes. No wonder they went to Cleveland and eventually folded...

Eric: I love the fact that the Colorado Rockies incorporated their state flag into this logo. Additionally, I want to say that the North Stars represent a true franchise in a true hockey state.






Comments