Best Logos in Sports: NBA's Western Conference


This is the eighth article in the Best Logos series. We all give our picks for the best logo used by each NBA Western Conference team, with a brief reason provided for some of our favorite choices. As always, a shoutout to Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.net and LogoServer for providing us with the logo history!

DALLAS MAVERICKS


Nick: I love the green basketball with the cowboy hat in this logo.

Zach: The green outline in the original was sloppy.

Sam: Cowboy hat rules

Eric: I love the blue/green color combo. The original logo is totally unique and totally Dallas.

DENVER NUGGETS

  

Nick: While I did love the Carmelo-era light blue logos, you can't go against this one.

Zach: If I could, I would pick every single logo they've had. They never have had a bad one, but this one comes on time because it incorporates the mountains, city skyline and sweet uniforms.

Sam: I love the modern day, but there really is nothing like the rainbow with the mountains.

Eric: Although I'm a fan of all of their logos, except the tan/gold phase in the 90's, I am a fan of the original logo from the ABA days. The rainbow uniforms in the 80's were great though.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Nick: This modern logo has an old-school feel. and that's what I like about it the most. 

Zach: I like that t says a "Golden State Warriors" and has a basketball. Clean look.

Sam: Gotta love the Chris Mullin era logo.

Eric: Simple, yet represents who they are. It is politically correct, yet it is still cool.

HOUSTON ROCKETS


Nick: The Rockets need the rocket ship right?! This logo has the best one, and it orbits the ball.

Zach: I like the colors and the uniforms. Although I don't mind the "crisis" that E mentions, I don't mind the yellow.

Sam: The rocket ship is just too good.

Eric: Is it me or did the 90's serve as the NBA identity crises. The Rockets have picked a different secondary color in so many eras. Pick something and stick with it. This 22-year era is simple, great use of yellow and it incorporates the best play ever for Houston in Hakeem.

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS



Nick: The Clippers shouldn't have gone away from this simple classic.

Zach: I like that the ball lines are accurate in this logo. Although I like the rebrand, go with the classic.

Sam: I gotta play devils advocate here. I love the present day logo.

Eric: This is a simple classic, with the only change from the original being the lines drawn on the basketball. I don't mind their current logo, which gives them some separation from the Lakers.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

  

Nick: This is another iconic logo in the NBA, and the Lakers should never go away from it.

Zach: This Lakers logo that I chose really goes with the times. When you go back to watch the games, it matches the lower quality film.

Sam: Iconic, and should never ever change.

Eric: The Lakers logo is iconic. Although the lighter purple was used in my favorite era of the Lakers with Magic and Kareem, I prefer the darker purple font. I wish they would go back to the purple numbers on the uniforms.

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Nick: I love this logo in both Vancouver and Memphis. The 90s could really rock the logo game.

Zach: I love the logo they came in with, but that makes me think of Vancouver. This is what I think of the Memphis Grizzlies, and my boy Zach Randolph. It means a lot to me.

Sam: The Vancouver Grizzlies had the greatest logo ever, and for that reason I will take the Memphis version too.

Eric: The Grizzlies brought with them from Vancouver the expansion-era teal. I don't mind the logo but hate the teal. I will take the current logo that really uses the dark navy blue well.

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES



Nick: This is the best Timberwolves logo, no doubt about it. Shoutout to Gramps for giving me a hat with this logo back when I was a youngster. Also, KG, Sprewell, Wally and Sam Cassell on NBA Live 2005...sign me up!

Zach: When I think of Kevin Garnett, I think of the logo he came in with. I think this is the best color combo, the best wolf, and while I like the trees, you don't know what sport it is. 

Sam: The present day logo is clean..

Eric: I really don't like any of these logos, but I know I hate the current one. If I have to pick one, I will take the original because they incorporate blue and green.

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS


    

Nick: This is pretty much the only option after the renaming shuffle. The Jazz name belongs back in NOLA, but I like the Pelicans nickname. They should use a fuller cartoon pelican though (like this Myrtle Beach logo)

Zach: I thought that this was a nice logo when they became the Pelicans, incorporating all of their team colors. This is the only primary logo they have, though I think they could have done better.

Sam: Would it be a TSR post without an Eric complaint? "NOLA" is a sick look.

Eric: What a disaster. Probably the worst logo in the NBA. Again, the use of gold/bronze is not great, and why on Earth are they the Pelicans. The Jazz need to return, but I can name 1000 better nicknames. To name five: Bourbons (Bourbon Street), Louies (Louis Armstrong), Frenchmen, Cajuns (although ULL has this) and Pirates.

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

  

Nick: Much like the Pelicans, this is the only real option after their move from Seattle. The Sonics had some sweet logos though!

Zach: I thought they did a pretty good job when they left Seattle, although I would have much rather seen them as the Sonics.

Sam: They need to change this thing ASAP.

Eric: Not a big fan of the flying OKC. The color combo is unique, although give me the Seattle Supersonics logos every day.

PHOENIX SUNS


Nick: The basketball as a part of the sun is definitely the best option from the Suns.

Zach: I think this is the best logo, because the "logo set" with the three alternates is the best. I like the shade of purple compared to the dark purple they use now. I like how if you read "Suns" upside down, it still says Suns.

Sam: The 90's logo was so cool with Charles Barkley

Eric: I'm not a fan of the "flying basketball", instead opting for the basketball sun spreading its rays. This is a unique color combo.

PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS


Nick: It's only right to go with the original right?

Zach: I am still trying to figure out the "swoosh/yin-yang" thing is, but I think the new logo is crisp. I like the uniforms as well, super clean. This logo is the time of the greatest player in franchise history, Damien Lillard.

Sam: Original is awesome.

Eric: I hate to sound like an old man, but I do like the original logo the best. I think its the cleanest logo, and it doesn't emphasize the black so much.

SACRAMENTO KINGS

  

Nick: While I like the design of the old-school kings better, the purple/grey combo is the best for Sacramento. 

Zach: I thought the re-logo, going back to the old school look was a hit. Unveiling the logo without the colors (black/white) was cool, but tossing in the purple was so much better.

Sam: For whatever reason, I think purple and grey go so well together. This is probably my favorite logo.

Eric: I didn't realize they were purple, I still see them as red, white and blue. I don't mind the purple/grey, but either way the logo is pretty sweet.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

  
Nick: While the Spurs logo isn't too different here, I dig the color pattern tossed in. 

Zach: I think the Spurs wordmark is very nice looking. I appreciate the backsplash of colors. It's a great 90's touch, but I'm glad they didn't incorporate it on their uniforms. 

Sam: The pink puts this one over the top.

Eric: Another team that had issues in the 90's. Why did they go with teal/pink on their logo?! You wonder what these marketing people were thinking back then. I still think the original is a classic with the boot spur.

UTAH JAZZ


Nick: The color scheme and the mountain backdrop is a fantastic logo from Utah.

Zach: I am glad they have comeback to this logo, albeit with a different color scheme, but I like the color purple. The only bad logo in their history was when they used Nick's logo but with the prominent green. Great logo history, and this is the best one.

Sam: BRING BACK THE PURPLE

Eric: For the last time in this NBA series, the use of bronze/tan is brutal here in the 90's. The original logo, which let's be honest still belongs in NOLA, is a classic. I'm glad they've worked back towards it.

BONUS: ONE FROM THE VAULT (Teams that Relocated/Renamed Themselves)


Nick: The Minneapolis Lakers (1947-60) make so much more sense, thanks the Land of 10,000 Lakes. This is a pretty sweet logo, and I can only imagine the possibilities with modern day graphics teams.

Zach: Like I said when we talked about the Thunder, I love the Sonics. They deserve a team, and they had sweet colors, logos and uniforms. They then became the Thunder, which was a travesty.

Sam: I am in love with this Vancouver Grizzlies logo.

Eric: A subtle nod to Indian heritage, I like this Buffalo Braves logo.




















Comments